Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Moving to new Hard Drive

You can export and import registry settings via REGEDIT.EXE (included with Windows), and yes, that should actually work for transfering the Xtreme setup from one computer to another.

However, you should only do this if you have a basic understanding of how the registry and Xara's settings in there work.

It's best to consult a local expert if you know one.
    Alexander Ewering
    instinctive mediaworks

instinctive.de it should be noted that the regedit method does not always work. Several members have tried and the imported registry file does not accurately update the new registry.

Also note that never try to use a .reg file from an older version of Xtreme to try and update a newer version. The registry keys are not identical and you can trash your current installation of Xtreme or Web Designer.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Also note that some settings/information is held in hidden folders in the users account profile under Vista and 7
    The amount of time and effort you might go to in finding and moving all these files & settings is likely to exceed the time required to install Xtreme and redo your custom bars and shortcuts.

Quote Originally Posted by instinctive.de View Post
    You can export and import registry settings via REGEDIT.EXE
    Perfect! That was just enough info to work for me. I'm not exactly a Windows guru but that was enough to let me know where to look and how to go about executing the project. I won't be using the old XP or Xara installs any more and the one I now have is completely new, so that gave me the courage to try an export-import attempt. It worked and the only problem I had was that I had already altered some of the workspace (but none of the keyboard shortcuts) and when I reopened Xtreme, I had duplicate sets of the icons/action buttons (I don't know what they're called). I removed the extras and everything works Super. Funny thing: Even the "Recent Files" list was transfered.

I don't know if it would be a good idea to outline the procedure I used here, so unless someone suggests that I do, I'll just let that sleeping dog lie.
    Last edited by Lawuy Cuff; 07 March 2010 at 11:53 PM.

Oh, congrats That was pretty courageous given that you don't think you're an expert. You've been a bit lucky too probably

The tutorial thing is not a bad idea - if you put a disclaimer above it

In general, finding and then exporting the branch

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Xara\XtremePro\<VERSION >

via "File" -> "Export" and then importing it on the other machine via "File" -> "Import" should do the trick. And yes, the recent files list is in there too

And while this might not work correctly under Vista or 7, it can *never* *ever* break anything other than Xtreme itself, so it's also pretty safe to do. As long as you aren't stupid enough to export/import the root of the registry (be sure "Selected Branch" is set in "Export Range").
    Last edited by instinctive.de; 08 March 2010 at 04:00 AM.
    Alexander Ewering
    instinctive mediaworks

As long as you aren't stupid enough to export/import the root of the registry.
    Lost in the translation I'm sure that Alex means "As long as you are careful enough not to export/import the root of the registry."

Which due to the open nature of this forum that anyone (lurker and guests) can read these helpful posts we like to make sure that appropriate warnings or caveats are issued when suggesting actions which could have dire results for the inexperienced yet adventurous PC user

Oh. Was that seriously bad English so that I need to practice more, or was that just a mild way of expressing your disgust at my way of phrasing things?
    Alexander Ewering
    instinctive mediaworks

Quote Originally Posted by Lawuy Cuff View Post
    Funny thing: Even the "Recent Files" list was transfered.
    Sure - in xtreme this info is in the windows registry too..

Not sure about the tutorial - purists might call this a bad practice that should not be encouraged - there are risks, as Bill pointed out. [no disrespect to Alexander]
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Oh, congrats The tutorial thing is not a bad idea - if you put a disclaimer above it...
    I'm in the middle of a job for the next couple of days, but when I'm through, I'll make that tutorial, though I may have to do some studying to do it. It so happens that I'm putting a Win7 machine together and I have have a Vista Disk here as well, so maybe I can try this out in for those OSs too. Until then...

Oh! and your English is impeccable... I think Sledger just has a sly/dry/rye sense of humor.

Thanks again, everybody.

here then is something to think about:

has it worked? - you can't really tell for sure upfront - registry problems have a habit of coming back to haunt you way down the line...

you have to ask yourself under what actual circumstances are registry keys modified during the programs use - and therefore how safe is it to transfer a complete block of 'mature' keys into a fresh registry?

good luck
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...