Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MPEG Editors

Anyone recommend an good MPEG editor? I understand that MPEG is a compressed format not intented to be edited, but it can be done.
    IP

Adobe Premiere Pro 1.5 can do it if you purchase the plugin... I just picked up a great deal on an ADS Pyro, full versions of Premiere Pro, Audition and Encore (Video, DVD Menu Creation and Audio) along with the Mpeg plugin all registered for $~600. All Latest Versions (Adobe lists the software at $2200...) Had to run out an buy a bigger harddrive tho... 90 Gig wasn't enough room. I hope 250 Gig will be enough... http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

I have played around with a couple .mpgs took a couple small ones and created a veiwable DVD quality from them. Now I can finally start eliminating my VHS Library. http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/wink.gif http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/biggrin.gif
    IP

Thanks John. Ouch. Pretty steep. Anyone used Ulead Media Studio Pro or know how it compares to Premiere?
    IP

The best Video editing software I have heard is the Sony Vegas. It was about $200 until Sony bought the company, now it is in the $600-$700 dollar range.

The microsoft movie maker is not a bad little editor, and it is free. You are quite limited for what you can do editing wise.
    IP

This one looks interesting but perhaps limited.

http://www.muvee.com/

Will take a look at Sony.
    IP

I have Muvee. It came free with the other stuff. I is definently limited!
    IP

I bought a MovieBox USB capture device for $200 and it came with Pinnacle Studio version 9 software. I have been recording old family movies from VHS like crazy.

dafipp
    IP

Hey Dale,

How does that work with dropped frames? When I fisrt started reseaching video, I heard that the USB devices where notorious for dropping frames. that is why I went with 1394 (firewire). I have had no problems so far...

I had originally purchased a pinnacle studio capture card... Never could get the durn thing to work and the software would crash on opening. Never could get beyond the opening credits.

The ADS PYRO was a piece of cake! Just slapped in the firewire card, connect up and away it goes, automatically recognized and ready to work.
    IP

John,
    I haven't experienced any dropped frames. I upgraded my computer ports to USB2.0 in preparation for getting the MovieBox. I am using version 9.3.5 of the Studio software and it seems to be pretty stable. It has given me problems once or twice. So far though I am pleased.

dafipp
    IP

Heve you played with Divx encoding yet? If you work at it, you can get an entire DVD onto a CD with full screen capability? Just started playing with it myself. 1/100 size of avi and 1/10 size DVD so they say.
    IP