Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default How do I make one rounded corner

Some unexpected results. In Xara Xtreme Pro 5 I'm trying to create an image with an upper right rounded corner and the other 3 corners square. I apply a rounded corner rectangle to an imported photo and apply clipview. The clipped image with 4 round corners is now 675x334. My intention is to crop the image to remove the 3 square corners, so I export as jpg and import. Now the image is 500x268!?! How can I end up with one rounded corner and the dimensions I want (555x255)?

Default Re: How do I make one rounded corner

Create a rectangle with 'square' corners the size you need.
    Convert to editable shapes.
    Select thepen tool or editor tool and create an extra point each side of the corner you want to round.
    Select the original corner point and delete it.
    round off the corner.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1roundedcorner.png 
Views:	199 
Size:	1.6 KB 
ID:	70143  

My method is to create a guide of 555x255 - turn on 'snap to guides' and draw your rectangle.
    Double click a corner to create them as rounded then convert the rectangle to editable shapes.
    While holding the ctrl key, drag a node to the corner intersection of the guides then select the remaining node and press 'delete'
    Repeat this for the other corners leaving the top right corner rounded.

Demo movie:

DOWNLOAD or FULLSCREEN 598KB

You can then shift+drag'n'drop you photo from the bitmap gallery (or windows explorer) to fill the shape.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sing-rounded-corner.jpg 
Views:	218 
Size:	49.8 KB 
ID:	70144

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Another method: Draw a rounded rectangle, clone (ctrl+K), remove rounded corners on clone, nudge clone up and over the corner you want to keep rounded, arrange>combineshapes>intersect. See step by step below. Then you can fill the same way that Sledger suggests.

Name:	1rounded corner.png 
Views:	240 
Size:	23.7 KB 
ID:	70146  
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

The reason I continue to visit the forum is to find new ideas, such as Steve just posted. An approach I would never have thought of and it is going into my bag of tricks, which depends on a fading memory unfortunatly.

However, my prefered method is that which "Doc" pointed out, because it is more versatile.
    The included image is two rectangles added together, which means you can not use Steve's method. Where I would modify Doc's approch is I create a circle (shown on the Yellow image) and clone it for every corner. This way you have a template to show where to install your points and also drag the 45 degree line to............frank

Name:	inverted L.png 
Views:	187 
Size:	5.2 KB 
ID:	70164  
    Last edited by Seagull; 27 February 2010 at 02:38 PM. Reason: Steve needed an apostrophe

Wow - you are all really Xtreme I will give each of these methods a try to see which one best fits my gray cell synapse patterns. Thanks to all of you.

Hi Guys and gals.

I tried the method posted by Angelize.

When do the Arrange>Combine Shapes>Intersect Shapes
    The remaing rectangle ends up smaller.

Might this be a Windows 7 problem?
    I have not tried this on my Windows XP machine.

Yes it does Rik, the process removes some of the height/width from the original rectangle which is how the process leaves one rounded corner and removes the other three. This is the same example in Frances' posted mini-tut.

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Yes as Steve says my method does remove a little from the original rectangle, but as this is a vector shape resizing is easy then fill with your photo.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

And yet another way:

Create your 555 x 255 pixel, rounded corner, rectangle, clone this object and remove rounded corners. Convert clone to shapes and using the shape editor tool add a point handle (node) either side of the top right corner and delete the node at the very corner. Select both objects and either add shapes or just group them (grouping allows you to then adjust the curvature on the one corner if you wish at a later point).

Then add your photo filled object and apply your clipview.

Regards

Su