Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Flatten" Image

Default "Flatten" Image

I'm new to Xara (and this forum) and am trying to make a web page of a composite image I made with XX5. I used several layers, some of which had transparency gradients applied, but when I exported to jpg, png -- any bitmap format -- I did not get what I saw on the screen. Sometimes I got the message that the transparency type (probably the gradient) is not supported by the bitmap. I am attaching an exported image (first) and a screen grab (second) to show what I mean.

I suspect XX is converting each layer to the bitmap format before combining the layers, rather than combining the layers first then generating the bitmap. XX must perfectly capable of doing the latter, however, as it does so in order to generate the screen image.

Can anyone give me a suggestion? Xara's tools are fast and powerful, but not very useful if I can't get what I see on the screen when I export an image.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20-30sComms.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	72.4 KB 
ID:	70112   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	XX5ScreenGrab.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	69.0 KB 
ID:	70113  

Default Re: "Flatten" Image

Marquee select and then export usually works fine, but have you tried soft-grouping before you export?
    You might like to attach your .xar file for us to check?

PS: If this is web based question, you have posted in the wrong forum.
    Since the release of Web Designer in March 09 and then Xtreme 5 in June (with Web Designer integration), it became necessary to split the forums to avoid confusion and unnecessary reading for members who were not interested in Web related topics and discussions.

Web related topics are best be posted and discussed in one of the sub-forums of the Talk Web category.

Graphics related topics are best posted in and discussed in one of the sub-forums of the Talk Graphics category.

Thanks

I've tried hard grouping and it didn't help.
    It's not really a web-based question. It's a question about getting an output image that is the same as I see on the screen.

Please post your file

Have you tried creating a bitmap copy - then exporting that.

Christine

As Christine says, try to "Create bitmap copy" near the bottom of the Arrange Menu (shift+Ctrl+C) within Xtreme itself, rather than truly exporting it. Once complete then export from Xara - it should work.

I often do things like apply 2 transparency filters on a given object by applying one linear filter (for example) then group the object by itself to apply a fractal cloud transparency filter (for example). Sometimes trying to export that as a transparent PNG (for example) causes your problem. But creating a PNG within Xara seems to work.

GP

"Create a bitmap copy" didn't help. I'm attaching a file containing the troublesome layers -- hopefully I'm just doing something stupid. BTW, thanks for the help -- and almost instantaneous.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Steve you are using a Photo Document template where there is no actual page background (photo doc templates are different).
    What's happening is that you are seeing the dark grey template background while creating the work due to the transparency, but when it is exported, the document bg colour isn't saved.
    You need to create the work in a normal drawing template which has a defined page and then edit the page size to 1920x1080 and then give it a dark grey background (Ctrl+Drag'n'drop from the colour line to the page)

Ah, that's the problem. You're importing the photo image as the document itself. What Sledge means is to create a New document first, then import the photo into that document. Do your work needed, then export from there. Should be fine.

GP

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerprinter View Post
    What Sledge means is to create a New document first,
    Not quite.
    A blank photo template is a new document, but it differes from the other templates in that there is no page area. The document area grows to accommodate the work therein.
    Because of this, there is no background colour to export unless you actually create a faux page area as a rectangular object set to the back.

This is why Steve's image looked fine on the page to his eye (because of the transparencies, the dark grey showed through), but when exported was without the dark grey bg of the template he'd used.