Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Unhappy Anti social photographer is arrested

Take care, that photography hobby of yours may label you as 'anti-social'
    Name:  antisocial.jpg
Views: 356
Size:  11.5 KB
    IP

Default Re: Anti social photographer is arrested

Ha, ha! Now look what happens if you refuse the nice young lady. And then the other one... Shame on you.

Seriously though, that photographer and his friend are childishly stupid. I understand when child refuses to take medicine even though he's sick, after all that injection hurts some. But these folks look like adult members of similarly sick society, and what they were nicely asked for was not even nearly as painful.
    Refusing to collaborate with police in their anti terrorist actions is plain stupid. Now they complain how rude is the police asking for "more detail". But what would they say being injured by terrorist act? Or even worse - losing some friend or relatives? Now they would complain how helpless the police is in being not able to stop the terrorism...
    It's the one way or another - either we help and collaborate as much as we can to prevent this problem, or forget about it and protect our privacy more than our life. It's a simple choice. Just like with a sick child - injection or death...
    John.
    IP

I tend to agree with John.

Some photgraphers are very precious about their 'freedom' to take pics - and [some] often are a damn nusience, and seem to forget that those they are taking pics of may have 'privacy concerns' too So anti-social behaviour it can be - one man's......

If people out on the street are considered 'fair-game' for a photographer, those they take pics of should at least have some redress - no one should have it all their own way

[Snap happy photographers irritate me - can you tell ]
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...
    IP

Some useful reading on Street photography and the Law (in Australia)

NSW Photo Rights

Street Photographers Rights
    IP

Steve, he was not arrested for the anti social behaviour. He was arrested for refusal to co-operate with police.
    Patefield was arrested for refusing to give his details, while his friend, who gave in, walked free. Patefield was held for eight hours and released without charge.
    John.
    IP

John, I did not say that.

The thread title Anti social photographer is arrested doesn't infer arrest for anti social behaviour any more than Xara Developer is arrested infers arrest for being a Xara Developer

Having said that, it's worth reviewing another incident involving a student.
    On the face of it, there appears to be a good case for harassment.

I don't believe you.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    The thread title Anti social photographer is arrested doesn't infer arrest for anti social behaviour
    No, the problem is that he is not an anti social photographer. He was not even charged in anti social behaviour. How can you state he's guilty?
    Having said that, it's worth reviewing another incident involving a student.On the face of it, there appears to be a good case for harassment.
    Oh yes, this one is quite different. Unnecessary use of violence in this case is completely unjustified. She might be cocky and initially not cooperative, but why all the brutality?
    John.
    IP

I totally absolutely disagree, people have rights, and they are taken
    away from us all the time. I agree with this person, and I don`t find it childish.
    I actually find it childish, to call it childish

I take pictures of buildings all the time, basically because I like architecture
    and the ornaments of the buildings.
    I see this as police harrasment, and I don`t think that these actions actually stop any terrorists.
    be aware, not to become a ware.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by ankhor View Post
    I actually find it childish, to call it childish

I see this as police harrasment
    Yes it is. But would you prefer a terrorists harassment instead? I don't. I would be rather giving my autograph to the nice young lady once in a while than being shot by some brainwashed maniac.
    and I don`t think that these actions actually stop any terrorists.
    It's not easy to fight terrorism. Police do their best. And it's not an easy job to do. We should rely on them and assist them. They are not enemy....
    And what I'm now saying sounds exactly the way we usually try to convince our children that the doctor is not evil... so...
    John.
    IP

I think this is really more about people being happy (or not) to tell the police who they are rather than photography rights.

I suspect that the police are probably a bit over-zealous about photographs because I'm sure the bad guys do reconoitre their targets. I think that if I were a bad guy I'd just be subtle about it and not attract attention. it's easy to criticise, but huge organisations like the police need straightforward guidelines that will be ridiculous in some circumstances.

I don't have a problem giving the police my name and I think it's reasonable for them to ask. I think that it's the fact that people refuse that makes them step up the ante to try and get compliance.

I think we'd all look stupid if the police had asked a suspicious bomber his name and taken "no" for an answer.

Do I think the photographer is a potential terrorist? No. Should the police be using terror laws to get his name? No. Would I do so if I were a policeman? I might be tempted.

The photographer wasn't denied the opportunity to go about his business, but he made himself the subject of attention when he wanted to do it anonymously.

I suspect that some parents would also be very happy to know that the police did take notice of people with cameras too, and none too fussy about how the police find out who they are.

I'm not down on photographers and don't want them to be restricted, but I'm happy to let the police ask their name.

On one occassion I was chased by a security guard after taking a picture of an empty office building (just a silly project I never saw through). His orders were to stop anyone taking photographs. Fortunately I took the precaution of taking the photographs from outside the property boundary, but that didn't stop him running into the road to try and stop my car.

We had a discussion where I explained he had no jurisdiction on the public highway and no authority to stop me from taking the photographs. He backed down and I went my way. he was just doing what he'd been told to do, as I guess the PCO was doing with the photographer.

On a similar vein our local council asked for my wifes school to take pictures of the christmas lights in the local town centre. Cameras supplied as well. Class sets off to photograph the decorations, only to have security intervene again quoting the "terrorist" threat and my wife and all the children had an interesting discussion with the shopping centre manager who knew nothing about the arrangement made by the council. Of course, they saw sense and allowed them to continue.

Of course, if I am a bad boy, I just say my name is "Steve" or "John". I always get a knowing look.. ;-)
    IP