Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default taking the white out of bitmaps

Hi,

I have a problem, I am given some hand calligraphy to scan so that I can insert it in my layout in xara. I use photoshop to scan it, the image has to be white text.
    After scanning it I get the white background and black text. Which is fine, How can I take this into xara and have the white background removed and the black text to appear white?

Default Re: taking the white out of bitmaps

In Photoshop or whichever application you are using to scan in the text, invert the image so what was white is black and black white, then import to Xara and apply a stain-glass transparency filter and voila.

Or do it the hardway, convert to vector with bitmap tracer now the graphic is a vector and just change the color.

My 2 cents.

Michael

In Paint Shop Pro X2 I do it like this (I'm sure PS has a similar way) :

- Import from scanner
    - Copy all
    - Make shure that the background colour is white
    - "Paste as transparent selection"

You could also save as PNG and use white as transperant colour when saving, that should work too.

regards

JimR

Hey Behzed, if you know what type of the hand calligraphy is, then you have no problem, if not then import your scan image into Xtreme and trace (redraw) the hand calligraphy with the shape editor tool. and if you share your scan image and post it may be i or another one can explain you more. Regards BP
    Im in love with Xara X / BP
    Friends, I apologize for my broken English
    My TG Albums: http://www.talkgraphics.com/album.php?u=20432

Sorry Gamerprinter and JimR, I think we donīt talk about photoshop or Paintshop. We want to talk and draw our Images in Xara Xtreme. Regards BP

Thank you guys, the writing is arabic, so this is what i did, seemed to do the job ok.

I scanned it into photoshop, then selected all the white around it with lasso, reversed it , painted it white and copied it to a new page in photoshop (with transparent background) then pasted it there.

Finally i saved it as photoshop file format, imported it into xara and it worked.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Panther View Post
    Sorry Gamerprinter and JimR, I think we donīt talk about photoshop or Paintshop. We want to talk and draw our Images in Xara Xtreme. Regards BP
    I certainly agree, but this issue begins at the scanner, which is not an Xtreme function, so if changes are made at the scanner/software, issues are handled before import to Xara.

I use Xara is the primary graphics app for everything in my studio - everything. However, I scan images into other software to move to Xara for final composition. If a small step is handled at the scanner level, then anything else regards Xara.

I don't use Photoshop for anything else, other than image edits and scanning, everything else I do is in Xara Xtreme - but Xara is not an image editor, so image editor questions should be given image editor answers.

Me I'd import the bitmap image and trace it by hand/mouse in Xara, but that solution might not work for everyone, or be the best solution.

GP

Hello behzad, if you can post your image, I want to see it please if you donīt mind. the calligraphy is intersting thing for me too. Regards BP
    PS.: and I want to see i f I can get it in Xtreme as vector objects.

Sure, here it is, would be interesting to see what you can do with it. I brought the resolution down to 96 dpi, it was 300 when i scanned it.

Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Yes Gamerprinter, you are right, but from beginn, Behzad asked about (How can he take this into xara and have the white background removed and black text to appear white?) right!! and most of our works in Xtreme based on Images maybe ScanImages or onther Photos from another places like internet DigitalCameras or so, but we want to work and rework in Xtreme, SAY vector as Images. Regards BP