Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Don't know Xtreme 5, but...

I don't have Xtreme 5 yet, so I don't know if this issue has been handled or not, but I need to create files that are larger than 36 x 48 inches, and/or create files that are larger than 300 dpi. If I could create 600 dpi files for example, I can reduce pixel files in photoshop of files created that reduce to are 300 dpi at 72" x 96" for example - so I can print larger dimension maps.

300 dpi at maximum allowed page size is a limitation for me.

GP

PS: I have lots of small issues with Xara, though its still my preferred app.

Default Re: Don't know Xtreme 5, but...

You can enter the dpi value manually when exporting.

Xara Xtreme Pro 4 only allows me to export 300 dpi files. When I create files that are larger than 36" x 48" I get an error about maximum file size or maximum dimension.

Very often the maps I design, I print at full scale with a larger format inkjet printer. I can print larger than 36 x 48, but Xara won't let me design bigger than that. That's my issue.

GP

Hi GP,

As Sledger mentioned you can type in any dpi you need in the Export Dialog. You are not limited to the values in the dropdown list.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	XtremePr4-Export.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	61.2 KB 
ID:	70008  
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Thank you, I'll see if I can successfully do that.

Michael

The 2.75m (9ft) page size limit is still present in Xtreme 5.
    You can get around this with vector drawings by setting scale factors.

Xara developer PhilM says:

Quote Originally Posted by PhilM View Post
    The reason for the 2.75m limit is to avoid overflow errors during coordinate manipulation. Xtreme needs "headroom" to be able to multiply, add, divide, (etc.) coordinates within signed 32-bit integers at all zoom factors and the maximum zoom factor can multiply coordinates by 256 times.

We have allowed a safety margin so you might get away with loading larger drawings but you run the risk of your document being rendered incorrectly at extreme zoom factors and it may become corrupted if you try to edit it.

Phil
    See thread ► http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthread.php?t=30941

I copied this from one post I saw on printing large banner etc..it may help. I think this was for xara 4, .........taojones

So the steps to produce a successful poster
    • Get the paper proportions right size right. It doesn't need to be the full size. So instead of having a page size of 3m x 1m, create a page 30cm x 10cm.
    • If exporting as TIFF, create an invisible rectangle around the outside of the area you want to print and make sure it's selected before you export.
    • Select File -> Export and select TIFF or PNG file types.
    • Set the width or height to be 16,000 pixels if you want maximum resolution (you only need to set the width or the height, not both as it calculates the other value for you). You will see the dpi figure change, but you can ignore this.
    • Make sure you've selected a color depth of 24 bits-per-pixel or True Color
    • Select Export
    • You can preview the file in Windows Picture Viewer to check it's OK (although be aware the images as large as 16,000 pixel are sometimes beyond what the Picture Viewer can cope with)
    • Burn file to CD and send to printers.

If producing images of 16,000 pixels wide be aware that you will tyoically be producing files of 100 Megapixels, or more, and so this will produce quite large files.

n the gif export options try selecting Error Diffusion for the Dithering

http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthread.php?t=22869 resize large images

As long as your proportions are correct, just export your PDF file and let the printing company scale the poster.

Keep in mind however that if your poster included photos, that the resolution also needs to be scaled.

So if your printing company needs your bitmaps at 300dpi and your file is at 25% actual size then you will need to increase the resolution of your bitmaps accordingly, or 1200dpi in this case.

Thanks, but I'm my own printer - I run a digital printing/graphic design studio. I use a Canon IP8100 - 44 inch wide roll-fed 12 color inkjet printer. I print my own maps, as well those of RPG publishers and individual cartographers from my Ecommerce site.

So I print my own stuff.

GP