Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 40 of 49 FirstFirst ... 303839404142 ... LastLast

Default Re: Fantasy maps created using Xara Xtreme

Quote Originally Posted by RKissane View Post
    Michael,

What type of file do you proved for the virtual tabletop? Do you have to do anything special for the tabletop use?

Having never seen a game played on virtual tabletop, I have seen picture which shows a large screen that the players can see. I think I read some where that the software that operates the screen can provide fog of war for the maps. does this affect how you do your maps at all?

Ray
    I myself, don't use virtual tabletop rather a printed map with minis played at a live table, but I have regular contact with a number of developers and major users of vt-apps, like MapTools, Fantasy Grounds, Battlegrounds, etc. I generally use JPG for whole maps and PNG files for map objects. The issue with VT, is there are so many apps out there, and many of them use different parameters. Now they all work with JPG maps fine, but its the size requirements that are the issue, it varies from app to app. For example Roll20 allows using 72 x 72 inch at 72 dpi JPGs, but most VT-apps are much smaller map areas, more 24 x 24 inches. I recently did map commissions for Legendary Games, and because their Kickstarter is working closely with one particular phone app VT software, I was required to slice the map into 2048 x 2048 pixel areas. So obviously, my current product isn't optimized for such a small size and wouldn't probably work for that software, however, most software, the sizes I create are appropriate.

Also some VT apps vary in what resolution it uses, somewhere between 50 and 200 pixels per inch is the norm. So I generally create larger mapped areas at 100 ppi which accommodates most software, allowing users to rescale in Photoshop if they require a change in scale or resolution.

Many VT apps have fog of war capability, but that isn't contingent on the map, rather its a software function. The user delineates what blocks for fog of war - walls, trees, etc. As long as I create content with recognizeable points of elevation (through the use of bevels in Xara), the user determines what blocks vision, based on the map. There's nothing inherent in the JPG file that needs to be done to make it VT compatible, except for total map size.

Working on page layout for the upcoming Horror on Gila Express one-shot module for the Gothic Western setting, a new project for a weird old west Pathfinder RPG product line.

This is the Appendix page for Artifact. What do you think of the borders, and old card illustrations? Its nothing too fancy, but I want to depict 19th century in style and art.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	appendix-7-artifact-thumb.jpg 
Views:	205 
Size:	177.0 KB 
ID:	109099

Here's the first page of content, following the cover, credits and table of contents pages.

I've broken the frame surrounding the text, and removed the lines, keeping the decorative corner pieces. I've rescaled the text to be somewhat smaller to allow more breathing room between columns, and widened the space between the corner-borders and the page edge. I also removed the superflous word "Page" from the page number.

The text of this page gives a good sound bite (through telegraph message) of the goals of the adventure, and the who, where and when, also grounding the reader with named American cities to make it seem more real. The rest of the text gives insight on what the setting is all about.

I am currently working on the cover design (though I'm still waiting waiting on the illustration under commission), and I intend to emulate Harper's Weekly, a major 19th century periodical to base the cover style upon. Once the art is ready, I will post that...

Name:	gila-express-final-2-thumb.jpg 
Views:	218 
Size:	135.5 KB 
ID:	109148

Haven't posted in a while. I am currently working on a set of 100 Sci-Fi map symbols, and an interstellar cargo transport vessel for inspiration. And consequently, I just got a freelance commission to create five maps for a science-fantasy adventure by Nick Logue for Legendary Games (its weird how I get work similar to whatever I happen to be doing at the time.)

Here is a deck plan for 3 decks: bridge, crew quarters, life support and crew cargo, as well as an aft separate part of the ship for engineering. Then the entire ship with exteriors.

This was all created with Xara Designer Pro x11, using beveled shapes and photo textures.

Name:	bridge-deck01.jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	56.9 KB 
ID:	111910Click image for larger version. 

Name:	deck-2-update.jpg 
Views:	187 
Size:	80.4 KB 
ID:	111915Click image for larger version. 

Name:	life-support-deck.jpg 
Views:	186 
Size:	75.5 KB 
ID:	111912Click image for larger version. 

Name:	engineering-transport-deck.jpg 
Views:	186 
Size:	76.6 KB 
ID:	111913Click image for larger version. 

Name:	interstellar-cargo-transport.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	28.7 KB 
ID:	111914

Just playing around with bevels and 3D extrusions in Xara Designer Pro - here's an insect-like warbot, or a cybernetic insectoid race.

Name:	warbot-walker.png 
Views:	171 
Size:	229.5 KB 
ID:	112004

A corridor deck that has an almost science-fiction/fantasy vibe to it. I'm might try to build a starship deck plan with exotic look to it.

Name:	sci-fantasy-corridor-deck.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	125.6 KB 
ID:	112005

Taking that corridor to the next step, I am building a Steam Punk Starship Deck Plan as my next personal project. I am currently working on the advanced steam engine, got more to go, but almost done with this deck. I've got passenger deck above and cargo, fuel storage, sickbay, workshop on lower deck to go.

Name:	victorian-deck-plan-work-in-progress-plus03.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	92.6 KB 
ID:	112025

Working on a Steam Punk Star Ship Deck Plan - HMSS Victoria, a 3 decked small passenger cruiser, the first of its kind, and the first star ship of the Imperial Space Fleet. A hydrogen burning steam engine fueled by condensed ice through an advanced process of hydrolysis creates hydrogen, steam power and breathable oxygen. In planetary atmosphere's, hydrogen inflates dirigible and it becomes an airship.

This is deck two - the operations deck with crew berth, bridge, navigation and engineering. This is a work-in-progress, as I need to create 2 other decks. Does this feel Victorian?

Name:	victorian-deck-plan-work-in-progress-plus04.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	98.9 KB 
ID:	112026

I made a few changes, but here are the 3 decks I promised, plus a poop deck with deflated dirigibles attached ready to auto inflate in planetary atmospheres, thus this star ship becomes an airship.

Name:	victorian-deck-plan-topside.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	101.6 KB 
ID:	112030Click image for larger version. 

Name:	victorian-deck-plan-passenger-berth.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	100.5 KB 
ID:	112031Click image for larger version. 

Name:	victorian-deck-plan-operations-deck.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	90.6 KB 
ID:	112032Click image for larger version. 

Name:	victorian-deck-plan-cargo-hold.jpg 
Views:	199 
Size:	81.8 KB 
ID:	112033

I love the idea of a billiards table on a starship Great drawings.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host