Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 38 of 49 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast

Default Re: Fantasy maps created using Xara Xtreme

Thanks, Egg!

I haven't posted in a while, as I've doing lots of commission work for Stormbunny Studios and E.N. Publishing, as well as working on my own writing projects. I decided to a very detailed hand-drawn map of a swamp - I've been thinking about a swamp map for a long time, but all the detailed plants (especially mangroves) I've found daunting. So I decided to take the plunge and get this thing knocked out. I essentially free hand-drawn about 3 to 4 objects per letter sized paper, then scanned that, imported to Xara Designer Pro 9, applied colors mixes, bevels, shadows and transparency and placed all below the drawn linework. Once I made about 30 objects, I decided that was enough to go with. Separately I drew the islands and pond scum as a different drawing, scanned that added beveled colored shapes for the land and scum - placed at the base of the map. Added a transparent brown layer to serve as water's surface so I could place some logs beneath the water surface, as well as the lower half of two crocodiles. Exported to JPG, here ya go!

Michael

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	swamp-lair-thumb.jpg 
Views:	256 
Size:	226.6 KB 
ID:	106680

And especially for Egg, since I can post a link to this (since its just a personal map) - Swamp map

So I've just been notified that the next Brady Games/Prima Publishing video game strategy guide, maps that I will be working on is for the Batman video game (don't know who makes it), and that will be at the end of April in preparation for a June release date. So another week in California in about month.

Annually there is a game cartography contest called the One Page Dungeon Contest, which I decided to enter once again (I was a runner up during the first OPDC 5 years ago - I didn't have enough text, so I didn't fully comply with the rules, but it was a judge's favorite).

The rules are to create a map that fits a letter size sheet, with the inclusion of a gazetteer describing each area and chamber with details. A map title, cartographer's name, scale and CC license logo are all the requirements.

I decided to utilize my recently created swamp map objects to create a lair of the bog witch - inside a hollow gigantic cypress tree at the center of a cypress swamp, called the Dread Bog.

Link to larger version - OPDC Cypress Tower map.

Enjoy!

Michael

Name:	hollow-tree-08-thumb.jpg 
Views:	221 
Size:	172.8 KB 
ID:	106794

I just created a hand-drawn/vector hybrid style map using Xara for EN Publishing What's OLD is NEW rpg system startup kit map, intended for print at 24 x 36 inches. Since that game system covers multiple genres, the map contains 3 genres within. The top (dark floored area) is likened to a starship deck plan (with a xenomorph stalking within), the center (tiled floor area) is modern, gory hospital (zombie apocalypse), and bottom (flagstone area) is medieval orc dungeon, while the temple area also probably medieval has its own flagstone design. It was a challenge, especially keeping creatively alert while working different genres in the design. While I had some room to be creative without supervision, any furnishings placed on the map is described in a text publication - what each specifically look like was my decision.

Anyway, due to NDA, I can't post the map, but Russell Morrissey of EN Publishing posted it on Zenfolio, so I will post a link to that here... The Grand Temple map.

Incidentally, with Russell posting this on his FB page, I just got another commission request (for 4 maps, including a Nick Logue adventure) for Jason Nelson of Legendary Games (publisher of D&D and Pathfinder 3PP content).

Enjoy.

I backed the Kickstarter for that game, so I saw the original basic version of that map in the Quickstart Pack. This looks fantastic.

-- Ben
    -----------------------
    Ben Morgan: ad1066 AT gmail thingy
    Chapter 13 Press: www.chapter13press.com
    Burn After Reading: www.burnafterreadingpress.com

An interplanetary shuttle or ship's boat for a larger interstellar vessel that can crew four for short excursions. The lack of adequete storage, weapons and personal space make this one of the smallest vessels in regular duties. The ship, engine and cockpit area are 3D, colored in Xara with colored shapes with stain-glass transparencies applied. The rest are beveled shapes, photo-image fills and drop shadows, the main floor is simple a repeating linear color fade of gray and dark gray.

Name:	ships-boat-small.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	53.3 KB 
ID:	106937

Michael,

On the OPDC Cypress tower map, you have missed the "d" off drawbridge ... unless of course you actually meant rawbridge ....
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Thanks for pointing that out, but I did catch that error. In my final version of that map, I added an additional text box of information, made some spelling corrections, completed an incomplete sentence and made some layout adjustments. After which I submitted this to the contest in question.

How about something for an aquatic sci-fi game. This is a high speed submersible with an articulated hull in the shape of a manta ray, with twin turbo caterpillar drives. It crews 3, though up 9 can ride, in addition to crew, on short undersea excursions.

Name:	devilfish-submersible-small.jpg 
Views:	208 
Size:	103.1 KB 
ID:	106974

Inspired by the manta sub I previously created, I thought such a sub needs a place to go and call home, so I'm currently working on a photo-realistic style map of an undersea science station called Neptune Station located on top of a seamount in 480 feet of water (somewhere). This is a work in progress of pretty much a fully detailed small city under the sea under (not so geodesic) domes. A few of the less critical domes show the domes intact, while most of the others have their centers cut out to better show their interior spaces. I still have to come up with ideas for the other chambers on the main habitat dome.

I plan to include other levels beneath this one, a cargo warehouse beneath the community level, 2 or 3 habitat levels (bunkhouses and apartments, with upscale suites along the windowed sides, and especially for those lower domes exposed in the map. Beneath the habitat levels will be the industrial operations level containing a small nuclear powerplant, desalination system, air filtration/recirculator system, water/sewage treatment, heating/air conditioning, etc. Beneath the marine laboratory and hydroponics domes are levels for station food produce farming, dolphin training, and high pressure aquarium labs - I will make those as well, once the main level is complete.

This is in the style of the video game strategy guide maps I do, kind of practice for the next such project coming in a few weeks, although I am spending more time than I get on those, as I'm thinking on my feet regarding design and inclusions as I go along - though I'm open to suggestions.

Even though this map isn't finished (its a work-in-progress), I am posting a link to the full version as the labels are impossible to read in the attached thumbnail. The image is 100 ppi JPG 50% compression, because its 72 x 72 inches, at a scale of 1 inch = 10 feet. (Full sized version of this map).

I'll be spending the next 2 - 3 days (or so) doing this map.

Some of this, like the domes, the manta sub hull, the crab maintenance submersibles and lifeforms are 3D objects, everything else is purely Xara vectors and drop shadows with photo texture fills.

Michael

Name:	undersea-station-03-sm.jpg 
Views:	207 
Size:	239.0 KB 
ID:	107028