Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 33 of 49 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast

Default Re: Fantasy maps created using Xara Xtreme

I don't make too many modern-ish maps, perhaps as practice for the possible upcoming Activision cartography gig, I decided to create a post-war/post-apocalyptic style battle map. The utility truck and telephone poles are 3D objects, everything else created in XDP9, using photo-textures from CGtextures.com... enjoy!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	post-apocalyptic-thumb.jpg 
Views:	468 
Size:	240.6 KB 
ID:	102995

Something that might fit post American Civil War, Old West, Orient Express, or the Victorian Era, a custom luxury Pullman train car with 4 sleeper rooms, 2 private rooms, appropriate toilets, a recreation room with bar and pool table, a dining room and a small kitchen. Though in later eras the kitchen/dining car is a double-decker and a separate car. This one is customized to include one serving just this car, perhaps belonging to an older time before dining cars came to be. You can't see it in the attachment, but I even put the earliest Union Pacific Route logo on the blanket of the beds. Everything created in XPD9.

Name:	pullman-luxury-car-thumb.jpg 
Views:	186 
Size:	149.7 KB 
ID:	103018

another great drawing :-)
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

I recall from the D&D 1e Dark Sun campaign setting, there was an animated dead giant beetle that was used as a tank of sorts. That was the inspiration for this Scarab Beetle Fighting Vehicle map, except this one has a flying mode. Dark Sun was a dying desert planet with almost a complete lack of metals, so most materials and weapons are stone based, thus little wood to build vehicles with. Instead animated dead husks of giant insects worked as armored vehicles.

(All work done in 3D, except for the interior furnishings which are all beveled vector shapes done in Xara.)

Enjoy!

Name:	scarab-fighting-vehicle-thumb.png 
Views:	144 
Size:	143.5 KB 
ID:	103027

A pool table on a train would be a very interesting game to play
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Might give me a chance of winning
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

Darts was intresting enough when I was at sea and of course any ball game was impossible.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

I'd rather play pool on a train, than on a ship...

Baths and Swimming pools could be fun as well
    Egg

The Activision Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare freelance cartography job is a definite thing now. I just got the contract to sign and will be getting a preliminary task of a couple maps just to check on time to completion, and working with the editor. Rather than maps for the game itself, the job specifies it is for the printed tactical guide book that can be purchased with the game - with cheat codes and tactics. There will be 20 - 30 maps I need to create for this project, but there is a Call of Duty release each year, so as far as I can tell, this will be an ongoing freelance gig for years to come. Also this is for a third party contracting company that works with many game companies, and not for Activision itself. Still the pay is very good, and any needed flights and hotels to LA is paid for by the contracting firm. After the initial map work, I'll be flying out to LA in the next couple weeks.

As an aside, I just got a small map commission for creating a merchant vessel based on a 3 decked Dutch ship being used as part of an airship for a steampunk based game for FASA Games. This is a one-time job, but fairly well paid.

This means I've got some work to do.