Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 24 of 49 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast

Default Re: Fantasy maps created using Xara Xtreme

It's been a while since I've posted, sorry about that. I've been quite busy lately.

Over at the Maps for Sharing Google+ community, I've been posting what I call "Quick and Dirty Map Tutorials". Thus far, they are single page (8.5 x 11 inch) 300 ppi JPG files with 9 steps for creating a specific map or terrain feature (for use in RPG/board game design). Since I still use Xara Xtreme Pro 4, I'd rather not show screen shots of old software, nor describe tools in detail. These tutorials offer thumbnails of the map in progress, with a short explanation of what to do at a given step. Because I've not presented these tutorials in any specific graphics application, the techniques used can be applied in any vector or image editor graphics application. Many of the members of the Google+ community insists it's so.

Also at member requests, I'm considering starting a Kickstarter to fund the creation of a 250 page full color, softcover printed book featuring 25 Quick and Dirty Map Tutorials, cleaned up, given better presentation and more complete progress descriptions, with 3 progress thumbnails per page, thus 3 pages for each tutorial, followed by 3 sample maps using the same techniques of the tutorial (thus 6 total pages per tutorial). With an introduction, I'd definitely mention and recommend Xara Photo Designer, though I'd focus on the fact that the tutorials are intended for most graphics software. If enough funds are gathered (double what I'd be asking), I'd create a second book for Advanced Quick and Dirty Map Tutorials. I have other ideas for stretch goals if such funds could be acquired.

Thoughts?

Anyway, below is the 5th Quick and Dirty tutorial I posted on the Maps for Sharing Google+ community - creating a cobblestone courtyard, just to show an example of what I mean by quick and dirty...

Link to full size tutorial JPG file.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	quick-and-dirty-tutorial5_thumb.jpg 
Views:	289 
Size:	49.0 KB 
ID:	96659

To begin marketing the upcoming 25 Quick & Dirty Map Tutorials Guide book Kickstarter, I've created a website that tries to provide as much information to potential contributors to get an idea on what to expect on a product release. I just added a sample maps page that includes thumbnails from the existing tutorials.
    Check it out, give it a critique, perhaps use the contact page to send me a personal response, or respond here. Is there anything missing? Does anything need changed? Is there something that doesn't belong.

Anyway, I've got lots more work to do, like create a 90 second video presentation to post on the Kickstarter page, and firm up my project outline. I'm still waiting for approval from the printing house for prints and distribution, both POD and short run printing. I really need that before I can move forward, but the website is the first step.

Quick and Dirty Map Tutorials website link.

Here's a map of a noble's chamber. Since you can't really show details in the walls of a top down map, you can only show details in the floor. So here's taking the mosaic plug-in filter used on an old classical painting for a floor mosaic. This will be one of the map samples in my upcoming tutorials guide. Many of the Photoshop plug-ins may seem useless, so you have to be creative on making the most them...

Name:	noble-chamber.jpg 
Views:	254 
Size:	164.1 KB 
ID:	96817

Just in time for Halloween, a creepy graveyard map under the light of the full moon! Enjoy!

http://www.gamer-printshop.com/cbg/gravenight.jpg

Name:	gravenight-thumb.jpg 
Views:	240 
Size:	84.8 KB 
ID:	98607

Here's a sample of photo-realistic forest floor. Aside from the beveled shapes of exposed tree roots, beneath are overlapping layers of cracked earth, patchy grass and leafy ground textures with fractal cloud transparency applied to each.

Name:	forest-floor-thumb.jpg 
Views:	346 
Size:	76.1 KB 
ID:	98970

I recently created a Noir-styled map of a big city detective's office. However, I created a number of map objects based on actual photos to fit in that map: typewriter, 38 special revolver, lamp and candlestick phone.

Name:	pi-stuff-thumb.jpg 
Views:	239 
Size:	25.2 KB 
ID:	99049

Here's a Quick & Dirty Map Tutorials for creating a Castle Map.

Name:	qd-castle-thumb.jpg 
Views:	246 
Size:	69.9 KB 
ID:	99132

You can see the full scale version of this (8.5" x 24", 300 ppi) on my G+ community.

On the G+ page, click on the posted image which opens a new window. Click the magnifying glass in the toolbar at the top of the window, which opens a slider-bar zoom tool to the upper left, + the bar to zoom in to see in full detail.

Enjoy!

Michael
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 19 October 2013 at 10:31 PM.

Thanks for that short tutorial, it is interesting how you do them.

As I perceive you most often create top-down perspective images for games, is that own preferred or do you do backgrounds also for side scrolling games? Assumingly maybe those needs different techniques, or for example seems harder the 3/4 perspective ones

Quote Originally Posted by csehz View Post
    Thanks for that short tutorial, it is interesting how you do them.

As I perceive you most often create top-down perspective images for games, is that own preferred or do you do backgrounds also for side scrolling games? Assumingly maybe those needs different techniques, or for example seems harder the 3/4 perspective ones
    Generally, I am making maps for tabletop games like Pathfinder or Dungeons and Dragons. I don't make maps for video games - so side scrolling would never happen. If you look across this entire, very long thread, I have many maps with a perspective view rather than a top-down view - I do all kinds of map styles. However, top down is most common and most useful in tabletop roleplaying games.

The problem with perspective view maps... what if I have a road, a town or other important location that lies on the north side of a mountain (very near the mountain, however). If the mountain is in perspective view, one cannot see the road, town or other formation, as it is behind the mountain. A top down view would prevent any geography from hiding behind other geography, thus perspective view is only so useful.

A perspective view map requires a lot more thought in getting it correct, and done in such a way that the viewer of the map understands what is going on. Having the reader to fully understand the map is the most important thing.

Here's something exotic for Halloween. This resembles a sea creature of some kind, though this is completely freestyle design, I have no idea of something like this atually exists. I was playing around with organic shapes, and this represents a Cthulhu-esque alien tenticled being of some kind. Enjoy! The tenticles are 8 point lines with sketch mode, and given a convex 3 line end. I converted lines to shape, given the off-white color fill, then a rounded bevel is applied, with drop shadows on the tenticles next to it. On the tenticles around the 'mouth', I applied a linear fade so that the attached end appears to 'blend' in to the organic mass behind it.

Name:	aberrant-thumb.jpg 
Views:	211 
Size:	38.3 KB 
ID:	99256