Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 35 of 49 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast

Default Re: Fantasy maps created using Xara Xtreme

Since this map is a Xara file, to accomodate both Big Frank's and Egg's critiques, here's an update to the last map. Some twisted I-beams, some concrete and asphalt rubble. There is still a path cleared through the rubble at this important river bank shared by many survivor and marauder bands alike.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bridge-fall-update.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	97.7 KB 
ID:	103123

I have a suggestion for the piece of roadway that has landed in the water. Give its reflection a slight wave ripple and also a bit of an angle to match the light source. You might also want to try a wave-ripple effect on the shadows that are cast by the road section that is still standing.

Quote Originally Posted by Boy View Post
    I have a suggestion for the piece of roadway that has landed in the water. Give its reflection a slight wave ripple and also a bit of an angle to match the light source. You might also want to try a wave-ripple effect on the shadows that are cast by the road section that is still standing.
    Though it may appear as a reflection, that is not the intent. The piece of road in the river is partially submerged and you can see the submerged portion disappearing under the murky water - that's what you're looking at.

To be honest, I've created 3D objects that had sections of clear glass over other sections and I applied a refraction quality in the glass so that light bends, and what appears under the glass differs from the same part extending past the glass. While it is certainly more realistic, most viewers of the map called into question the refracted part of the image, not understanding that this is how it would actually appear in reality. For us more worldly people who understand the properties of light passing through water and how light bends, means nothing to the general population who just consider it some kind of mistake. In order to not confuse nor consternate those who don't understand, I now avoid including refraction and other scientificly proven alterations of what one sees represented on a map.

Again, I was using my local Illinois river as a reference for the behavior of the river in this map. I could throw a floating ball into the river, then walk at a very slow pace on the bank and still be walking faster than the ball is floating in the current - the current is extremely slow. So effects of objects beneath the water's surface being disturbed by the current would be negligible, and so I imposed that in the map.

I should have known that you researched all of this very meticulously and made your choices of how to craft your images with good reason.

Thanks for the explanation.

I put this question here as it does not really belong to that Extracting portions of an image thread.

I saw your example in that particular thread and was just wandering if it would be easier just to render with an alpha channel and then skip the whole clipping stage alltogether?

Quote Originally Posted by theinonen View Post
    I put this question here as it does not really belong to that Extracting portions of an image thread.

I saw your example in that particular thread and was just wandering if it would be easier just to render with an alpha channel and then skip the whole clipping stage alltogether?
    Sometimes I do just rely on PNG alpha channel for a given image, but as in that spider sample in the thread you mentioned, I needed the shadow to be partially transparent, and the spider to be solid, because I needed to mix 2 different kinds of transparency requirements for that job, clipping the image and shadow separately, then applying transparency to shadow makes more sense.

Also, sometimes after I create a specific map object, I might want to export it at multiple resolutions for the differing needs of those that might use it. Some like it 72 dpi, others want 200 dpi. Rescaling a PNG alpha channel has the same problems of rescaling any bitmap image, images get jaggy and create artifacts attempting to make them bigger than the original. By clipping the image and keeping it vector, I can more effectively export it the varying resolutions and scales, ending with much more cleaner end results. Once I create a number of related map objects, like adding the spiders to creepy monster set or invertibrate set I make it available at 72 dpi, 100 dpi and 300 dpi, the latter for use by publishers that might want to use the objects in a high resolution, large format printed map. I make these map object sets available for sale. Note the 3D rendered files are created at 300 dpi, so I'm working at maximum resolution when I start the job, so I'm not trying to upscale a 72 dpi to 300.

My spider example had a white background, so it might have been easier relying on alpha channel PNG instead of clipping it. But what if your original file is a photo with a background you don't want, clipping makes more sense.

Clipping the image gives me more versatility, than just creating a transparent PNG file from a single image. And its a production process I'm use to doing, so I prefer to clip.

Working on a 3 decked merchant ship to serve as a gondola for an airship, as a commission for FASA Games - for a Steampunk setting called 1879.

While I've already created the engine/cargo deck, that map contains "secret information" regarding the publishers steam engine, so I won't post that. However, I will post the crew deck, the deck above, because there's nothing secret about it. Unusually, the captains quarters is in the fore of the ship, instead of the usual aft - the publisher wanted the galley to go over the hot engine room beneath, and relocate the captain to the opposite end, and be more comfortable. Enjoy!

Name:	crew-deck.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	59.5 KB 
ID:	103227

Further upthread I have a 3D rendered beetle image that I made into an armored fighting vehicle. When I posted that image to my G+ community, somebody suggested it would make a great Spelljammer ship.

For those who don't know, Dungeons & Dragons had a pseudo-outer space setting called Spelljammer that used a Ptolmeic described universe (rather than the real one) where the stars are part of the firmament, and worlds were crystal spheres. Basically it was playing a sailing ship with aliens and sailing in outer space (but the physics is different in game than it is in space.)

Many of the Spelljammer space ships resemble giant animals like a Nautilus. So I thought a beetle shaped ship would be an excellent way to go.

As the previous version, the Beetle itself is a rendered 3D image. I import the JPG file, and first clip the beetle image from its white background. Then I clone the clipped beetle image and clip that done to just the thorax and abdomen (the middle and rear sections of the Beetle), thus clipping out the head, legs and wings. Next I create shapes using rounded rectangles, square corner rectangles creating all the interior spaces of the ship. Next I copy the clipped beetle to use as a clipping mask. With the previous clipped beetle, I subtract the combined rooms and passages from the clipped image and apply a chiselled bevel. Because I don't want the external area beveled at all, I paste-in-place the previously copied clipped beetle. I select the beveled clipped image, convert to shapes, then select both the beveled shape and the copied shape and intersect the two - so only the interior space chiseled bevel exists, the external chiseled side has been clipped off.

I create a shape large than the open space, but smaller than the outer edge and place beneath the beveled shape and apply a wood-plank repeating image, texture fill. Using similar techniques I create the hammocks, tables, and furnishings and properly place them to each room.

I repeat these steps for the upper flight/gun deck, though with smaller chambers since there is less real estate the higher up you go on the beetle parts.

In order to display the exterior of the beetle with its carapace open. I clone the original clipped beetle image/shape and create the pivot section at the center front part of the abdomen, as a clip of the clone. Then I clone the clipped beetle once again, and create clipping shapes for each half of its carapace shell. I click each to show the rotating symbols and move the center point underneath the center of the pivot area - I do this to both carapace halves, then rotate them as shown.

By placing the original beetle vehicle scaled down to fit the intended scale of the ship and putting 3 units on the top deck, I've essentially made this into an aircraft carrier and landing assault ship (since it has legs that can walk, once landed.)

This beetle space ship deck plan has been well received on the gaming forums I've posted it.

Enjoy!

Name:	gnollian-scarab-carapace-closed-deck-800.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	63.3 KB 
ID:	103287Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gnollian-scarab-crew-deck-800.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	72.7 KB 
ID:	103288Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gnollian-scarab-flight-deck-800.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	71.7 KB 
ID:	103289Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gnollian-scarab-carapace-open-deck-800.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	73.3 KB 
ID:	103290

The Fey Queen's Swan Pier on Moon Lake.

Name:	elf-queen-pier-800.jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	231.8 KB 
ID:	103310

Duat, the capital of Anubia and the Gnollean Empire (based on ancient Egyptian archaeology). I created this over the past 3 days, maybe 12 hours total. Although designed for a Spelljammer homebrew short campaign, it is perfectly suitable for any ancient Egyptian based desert city. I might release this a a PDF map product that includes a detailed gazetteer, some interior plans and more...

The attached thumbnail cannot do this map any justice, as the original when exported at 100 ppi is 5460 pixels wide (its big!) - be sure to visit my G+ page to see it in its full glory!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	anubia7-thumb.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	172.6 KB 
ID:	103381  
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 18 August 2014 at 10:24 AM.