Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 16 of 49 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Default Re: Fantasy maps created using Xara Xtreme

If I'm not mistaken, that refers to Pathfinder Fantasy RPG (which is also the first thing that comes up if you search Google for 'PFRPG'). It started as a D&D 3.5 offshoot, adjusting and correcting many of 3.5's shortcomings. Perfect for anyone who didn't like the sweeping changes made in D&D 4th edition (it's been colloquially referred to as '3.75'). It's since grown into quite a contender in the industry.

-- Ben
    -----------------------
    Ben Morgan: ad1066 AT gmail thingy
    Chapter 13 Press: www.chapter13press.com
    Burn After Reading: www.burnafterreadingpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by ad1066 View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, that refers to Pathfinder Fantasy RPG (which is also the first thing that comes up if you search Google for 'PFRPG'). It started as a D&D 3.5 offshoot, adjusting and correcting many of 3.5's shortcomings. Perfect for anyone who didn't like the sweeping changes made in D&D 4th edition (it's been colloquially referred to as '3.75'). It's since grown into quite a contender in the industry.

-- Ben
    That's correct. From a third party publisher standpoint, the Pathfinder Compatibility License, which all our products fall under, is very condusive to third parties. While D&D 4th edition has the GSL - Game System License, which is a poor license for a third party to pubish under as no new rules can be added, no new monsters can be added, and control of shelf life is maintained by owners of the 4e system, not the third party - so not very friendly to 3rd party products.

Still being more familiar with D&D 3.5, which is what Pathfinder is based upon, I can more easily create products, than trying to do so for D&D 4e, even if it's license was more condusive to small publishers.

Michael

Everything you wanted to know/didn't want to know about PFRPG.

In 1974, Gary E. Gygax Jr. invented Dungeons and Dragons (D&D) - a roleplaying game using dice, paper/pencil, a Dungeon Master (referee), and 3 to 5 or more players. Its a story telling game and all modern roleplaying games including PC/Console games like World of Warcraft are based on it.

In 1990, TSR created a new edition of the game (second edition) making some mechanical rule changes, but keeping the game familiar with the previous edition. However, due to over extending its product line, the company went 'belly up' in 1998. Wizards of the Coast, the creator of Magic the Gathering, the most popular trading card game, had the money and the desire to save the D&D product, so Wizards of the Coast (WotC) bought out TSR. In 1999 Hasbro purchased WotC.

In 2000, WotC released the third edition of the game, with a mid-release change in its rules to 3.5 - this was the most successful edition of the game, bringing millions of players into the game. WotC also created the Open Game License, which made room for third party publishers to easily support the game with their own supplements and adventure material.

In 2006, WotC released the fourth edition of D&D, however took many new directions to the game, essentially redesigning it from the ground up. However, in addition WotC created a new third party license called the GSL (Game System License). However, this license was very much restricted, preventing third party companies from creating new rules, rather only being able to create adventure products using the existing rules only. Since 4e is a complete departure from previous rules, much of the RPG market was split, some wanting the new rules, others feeling disenfranchised which caused a major market split.

Paizo Publishing, easily considered #2 among the third party companies supporting the 3.5 rules, and had the license to publish Dragon/Dungeon print magazines for the RPG industry - licensed by WotC to Paizo, had their license rescinded by WotC, because their new edition would only have electronic support and the magazines were coming to an end.

However, Paizo is a major producer of adventures for D&D. WotC at the change to the new edition had all books supporting the 3.5 D&D rules pulled from the distribution channels, which meant third party products could not be sold through the hobby stores and other outlets due to a lack of core rules. Paizo opted to reprint the 3.5 rules with some rules modifications and called their game Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, so they could continue to sell their existing productlines.

2010/11 have been down years for D&D 4e, probably due to the economy, however, Paizo created several books to support their game with critical renown and in appropriate quarters outsold WotC and D&D 4e, with their PFRPG game.

Because PFRPG uses the Open Gaming License, third party companies such as mine can easily support that system and have complete control over our products (unlike the GSL 4e license which is far more restrictive).

So that's why I do. I hope that was helpful for those not understanding what Wikipedia is referring to with Pathfinder Roleplaying Game.

I hope that was helpful for you M.G.Architect...

Michael

PS: in the end, I'm just another RPG gaming geek. Since I have experience with writing and editing, as well as illustration and graphic design (the latter being my day job) - added to the fact that I've been a professional fantasy cartographer doing commissioned map designs for many RPG publishers. All this gives me unique skills, industry contacts - a means of carrying my gaming hobby to the next level as a game designer/developer, creating my own products. It won't make me rich, but I earn something, while continuing to engage in the hobby I love.
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 26 October 2011 at 10:38 PM.

Is there a particular reason this wasn't a commercial offering? Seems like a lot of work to give away (or is it a precursor to a commercial game?).

We've got several products released already, however, as a means to increase exposure of our products, I felt it a good idea to offer a free product, especially to serve as a Halloween promotion, as Kaidan is touted to be a horror product. The adventure had already been written and used as a demo product, and would unlikely see public release on its own. The map had already been created. The only thing missing was illustrations and a proper layout, so I created that myself. Really aside from the efforts made in the above illustrations, there was no great work on my part.

A free product would get those sitting on the fence on the product to look. Perhaps that is enough to generate sales. If nothing else it creates good will.

Michael

Sounds like a good plan.

So, how is this game played?
    It doesn't seem to be a board game, and there doesn't appear to be any software involved (like a FPS or Sim City).
    What, who, why, how?
    mg

Quote Originally Posted by mg.architect View Post
    So, how is this game played?
    It doesn't seem to be a board game, and there doesn't appear to be any software involved (like a FPS or Sim City).
    What, who, why, how?
    mg
    A roleplaying game is it's own kind of animal. It is not a board game, but does have war gaming roots, and sometimes 1" gridded maps are used along with painted miniature figurines of heroes and monsters - though this is not required to play the game. As stated it's a story telling game. The DM (dungeon master) is the referee, the story teller of the gaming session. He knows all the secrets, threats, obstacles, performing as arbiter in rules at the table. The players use characters - heroes with varying skills, talents and attributes with numeric modifiers to the chance roll of the dice to determine success or failure in skill tasks or combat. Each player has a character sheet fully describing these stats and modifiers.

There is no 'winner'/'loser' concept in the game. Its a team effort of shared skills where each player specializes as a wizard, cavalier, rogue, priest - dozens of 'classes' available. Like a video game your hero has a limited number of 'life points' and can be killed. Unlike a video game the rules are presented in printed hard bound handbooks, but ultimately falls under the arbitration of the DM. Though the DM portrays all the opponents, monsters, obstacles for the player characters, he is not trying to kill their characters, rather present challenges appropriate for their class level average of all player participants. Rolling dice determines the random of the game mechanics used to play the game having the standard cubical 6-sided die, there are also 4-sided, 8-sided, 10 sided, 12-sided and 20 sided dice - each used for different weapons, damage types, spells effects, etc. Experience Points are achieved by defeating a certain number of monster/encounters that differ each level to progress upwards in experience level - gaining new powers, spell access, skills, etc.

Why play a game, where each participant including the referee have to calculate mathematics and refer to obscure rules in play? Why not let a computer do it? For us RPG gamers, making the random rolls with varying dice pools gives us some measure of control of the reality of playing in an RPG environment. There's also nuance that arrives based on the creativity of player's to overcome opponents not set up in the rules that have to be negotiated to what available talents a given player character possesses. A video game cannot represent that kind of nuance - only the human brain can accomplish this. This is why it is more fulfilling than a video game - though video games of fantasy story concepts are descendants of D&D and the other RPG publishing companies.

The purpose of a gaming session is for a group of friends to meet live on a weekly, bi-weekly, monthly - whenever they can all meet together at one place. A typical RPG gaming session takes about 4 hours, probably an extra hour for bathroom/eating breaks/joking around. When playing the game, your friend, Bill, is now Hrothgar the Viking and you'd better call him that, as no he is 'roleplaying' that character. When the DM introduces the goblins, gnolls, dragons, werewolves - whatever fantastical threat the players take tactical positions and used teamwork, combined skills to overcome every obstacle. Sometimes characters become injured, sometimes they die. At higher levels there is sometimes access to powerful magic that can restore the dead to life, at low levels its sometimes considered an eventuality, like in real life. A four hour session is just a single session, the game is played over an ongoing timeline where a week or a single night goes by within the game session, but a single adventure may take a month or more in sessions to complete. Campaigns are extended storylines that include 3 to 10 adventures to cover the entire plot - years and years of sessions to fully play (really).

I create a Setting - that is a world environment with its own cosmic rules, pantheon of spiritual beings, plethora of monsters and ghostly beings that fit a dark fantasy version of feudal Japan - my particular niche. Fantasy European derived settings fit the majority of D&D themes, however, oriental settings are number 2, horror and other thematic niches fall in subsequent smaller markets - Japanese is my heritage, and I sought to create a more authentic setting that fit a medieval Japan-like place, as the Empire of Kaidan is a fictional island archipelage - heavily influenced by Japanese culture, legend and folklore. I'm first in uniting an Asian setting with a Horror setting.

An adventure is a complete story with plothooks in the beginning, a sequencial guide of events of the storyline, or locationary guide describing the physical qualities of a chamber, cavern, wilderness location, who and/or what is present at that place. It's not a short story per se, rather described in bites of mechanical detail for each encounter location/monster as per rules of the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game system. We offer rules that append off the Core rules that fit the setting specifically.

Many Dungeon Masters make up their own stories, based on personal fiction, favorite books, movies, television, bits of history to create their own personal worlds. Sometimes adventures need to be adapted by the purchasers to fit their own personal idiosyncracies or existing world. We also create rules supplements - new monsters, new monster (playable) races, new faction guides (yakuza, samurai, shinobi), magic items, etc.

Many products are available as downloadable PDF products, though many, like my main trilogy of adventures is available as softbound printed books available at game stores, bookstores, Amazon.com worldwide.

It's difficult to explain beyond what I've rambled about above, there are youtube examples of people playing Dungeons and Dragons to give you an idea of what it's like in play, but beyond experiencing a game yourself, its difficult to present the experience which is unique and fun - and certainly geeky.
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 28 October 2011 at 02:07 AM.

Well RPGNow/DrivethruRPG (link will only be good for a week) - two sites that represent the largest distributor of PDF products for roleplaying games has included Frozen Wind as it's free product of the week of October 27th - casting a far wider net, than I could do myself. This should boost downloads and hopefully lead to some sales for the paid-for products.

I should have another map to post in a day or two. This will be a location for our Way of the Yakuza, faction supplement for Kaidan.

Michael

Zawaizumi is a mountain village that has been taken over by a gang of Yakuza thugs and smugglers, and is featured as a ready-to-use location with backstory, events, inhabitants and the following map.

It serves as an example of the mechanics included in my publication which will be released tomorrow morning, called The Way of the Yakuza.

I use my standard hand-drawn/Xara graphics hybrid map style for this. I decided to create a step-by-step graphic tutorial of the process and workflow to the final map.

Enjoy!

Michael

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	drawing.jpg 
Views:	270 
Size:	110.5 KB 
ID:	85376

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	elevations.jpg 
Views:	241 
Size:	34.0 KB 
ID:	85377