Hello, my name is Michael Tumey and I am a professional fantasy cartographer, that is I create fictional maps for novelists, video games and printed maps for RPG games like Dungeons & Dragons. I've been doing this for three years and have been commissioned for maps by many publishers large and small.

I am a senior member of the Cartographers' Guild, though I am the only one who uses Xara to create maps - most are users of map applications like Profantasy Campaign Cartographer (CAD application) or image editors like Photoshop or GIMP. Since the majority of pro fantasy mappers are members of the above mentioned site, I know that I am alone in using Xara Xtreme - at least at a professional level.

At the CG, I've participated in numerous Map Challenges (community monthly contests following a specific theme or set of rules) and have won four times.

I have included several more recent maps I've created - from Contests entries, professional commissions, as well as work for my own game publication.

While I have some maps that were created exclusively in Xara Xtreme, most of my recent work combines hand-drawn linework that is digitally scanned then imported to Xara for coloring/beveling shadowing and special effects. I also have maps that utilize imported 3D graphics elements I create using other software. While I will use Photoshop to do any image editing I may need, most of the digital work is handled entirely in Xara Xtreme.

The first map below is my most recent work, its for a map contest (with prizes) - kind of creepy map, a dark fantasy dungeon featuring a crypt, surgical chambers, a blood filled canyon, a bone chapel with a bloody moat, and many filled chambers. I call it the Necromancer's Lair...

(Now seeing the limitations of attachment manager, I will post links to the maps from my website, as almost all of the maps exceed the file size limitation...)

Necromancer's Lair

The next map is very much a work in progress, as it is a commissioned piece for a print newsletter for Iron Crown Enterprises RPG - the Guild Companion, I have more hand-drawn work to do, more buildings to place and trees. The inset square in the top right corner will for interior views of a tavern/inn that figures prominently in the storyline.

Village of Tomme

The next map is a commissioned regional map of Zion Canyon area in Utah, as part of a Old West RPG for Dog House Rules (Sidewinder: Recoiled)

Zion Canyon Regional Map

These last two links posted will be to older maps. The first one was a contest entry and the inspiration to create my my published game setting for a fantasy medieval Japan (Asian horror) game for Pathfinder RPG. However the contest area depicts a part of actual Japan in 1184 - 1185, showing major battle sites and political controlling areas during the Genpei War.

Genpei War Map

Last map posted for today - a contest entry and winner for Iron Crown Enterprises first map contest. The theme was create a temple map, so I created a map for a Sea God, something like Poseidon, I call this map: Sargoseum.

Sargoseum - Temple to God of the Seas map

I will post more, hopefully as attachments later on. I also plan to post tutorials on how I use Xara Xtreme to create my fantasy maps.

Enjoy!

GP