Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 36 of 49 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast

Default Re: Fantasy maps created using Xara Xtreme

Well if my trip to LA and Activision seemed like a vacation, it wasn't. I basically spent 6 days, 12 hours per day playing with an X-Box under a high security office environment. I don't normally ever play video games, so it was a chore. Being in LA was just to collect necessary data to create maps - no maps were created there. Now I have several weeks to complete all maps, and there are lots of them, so even more 12 hour days at home getting the work done. So in the end, I'll have about 3 weeks total in this project at completion. Although there might be a few small gigs in the next month or two, the season for this work seems to be from March to September. Next year is supposed to be busy, so I might have 4 or 5 of these projects to work on next year - mo money! Although most clients are in LA, one is in San Francisco, one in Seattle, another in Toronto, so I might be going to those places next year. Looks like I have a 6 month-ish per year career going now (and more money than I've ever made)!

Although I enjoyed California, most of it was sleep, breakfast, go to work, supper, go to bed. I did get one evening in Santa Monica Blvd and Santa Monica Pier (it was Santa Monica, specifically, not LA per se).

I've just completed my first of many maps for this project - now on to map #2.

Nice work, Michael. And welcome to the forum.

If it seems like I've been quiet lately, its because I'm still doing the maps for Call of Duty. The trip to California was really only for research, that is playing CoD: AW 12 hours a day learning what needs to be mapped. Now I've got a very short deadline to complete all the multi-player maps, using my standard of excellence with photo-realistic maps. Its an impossible deadline, and even asking for an extension already. They basically expect a map a day, ones that normally take me 2 or 3 days to create, but such is the job. I actually work as a freelancer for Brady Games - the US video game industry strategy guide publisher. I'm quiet because I'm spending upwards towards 16 hours a day doing this cartography. Its exhausting, but I am being well paid, so must work on...

I don't even know what day of the week it is. The whole weekend went by without me realizing it was the weekend. Until this commission is complete - time is a relative term. I will get this done!

Really interesting to read your career Michael, wishing good luck to complete this tough schedule

While I normally create maps for fantasy themes, after 3 weeks of Activision Call of Duty work, I'm suddenly in the mood to create maps for sci-fi themes. Below is 2 levels of a top secret mountain top scientific research facility for some multi-national corporation - kind of a villain's high tech secret hideout. A map for prefabricated prisons is included as well. I did a fun write up advertisement for this one on other sites I've posted this...

Why Cellblox? Because they stack like Legos. That’s right, our Nanoblox technology uses the same concept as 21st century Legos at a molecular level. The top face of every Cellblox unit is covered with billions of invisible and microscopic Lego block tops, with the Lego bottom on the bottom face of every unit. With Nanoshelves technology, each odd cell sits on tiny shelves with tiny grips on the opposite side. Though not impermeably sealed as when Cellblox are stacked, there is no need for mortars, Cellblox are designed to bond at the molecular level.

The lightweight, but incredibly durable Duralite ceramic wall and door material is resistant to most radiations, extreme heat and cold, is sound-proof, and resistant to most explosives. Notice the transparent glass-steel panels that serve as floor and ceiling. Guards can look up or down at a quick glance in addition to our state-of-the-art surveillance. Cellblox inmates are often safer in wars and environmental disasters than those not incarcerated. We pride ourselves at keeping the incarcerated incarcerated, and safe.

Beside each hermetically sealed Cellblox unit door is a bio-display panel that shows full identification and bio signs of inmate at a glance. Specify racial parameters on ordering.

You can purchase just one Cellblox unit for a single inmate, but for your best savings, consider our popular 4PAK comes with a 10 year price frozen maintenance agreement and is ready to become a brig on any vessel, a colonial jail, or prison camp starter kit.

For a modular penal solution, Cellblox offers our flagship product the CellbloX which holds 32 Cellblox units with 2 guard watch stations bisecting the block, with an elevator to move one inmate and four guards or with proper restraints, 4 inmates at a time. CellbloX stack and bond just as the basic units do, making pre-fabricated installations fast and easy. If you need a prison fast and affordably priced, and know it exceeds industry standards for housing an inmate populations, look no further than Cellblox.

Not shown are the many options for non-inmate levels including prison kitchen and mess hall, exercise yard, guard officer barracks, and administration. Do your inmates undergo unnecessary surgeries and medical experimentation? Cellblox offers complete hospital facilities as one of our popular options. Some of our client worlds have ready to use orbiting prisons, prison starships that never go to port, many are land-based, aboard ocean vessels, underwater, even airless moons and asteroids. Cellblox will go anywhere you want.

Contact a Cellblox dealer today!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	station_top-800.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	64.7 KB 
ID:	103984Click image for larger version. 

Name:	station_main-800.jpg 
Views:	213 
Size:	203.0 KB 
ID:	103985Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cellblox-800.jpg 
Views:	198 
Size:	117.6 KB 
ID:	103986

Here's a fictitious star system map to be used for a sci-fi game. I created the sun in Photoshop, as I was having problems getting it to look the way I wanted in Xara, but everything else created in Xara.

Name:	ares-star-system-thumb.jpg 
Views:	216 
Size:	59.2 KB 
ID:	104444
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 27 October 2014 at 06:25 PM.

Been a while since I posted a map. This is a Bronze Age settlement map that includes a ringed hill fort with roundhouses, a trackway crossing some marshes and a pool to sacrifice bronze weapons and tools to the gods, a barrow mound with exposed entryway, and a henge circle. I opted to use hedges instead of fitted stone walls as Neolithic farm divisions, though the hedges could be growing on walls. Note, I added a flock of sheep in one of the fallow fields.

Name:	bronze-age-settlement-thumb.jpg 
Views:	228 
Size:	156.8 KB 
ID:	105699

Hey, do you still need help? I used a picture you posted saying you need help but have no dough as a basis for a reimagining.

You're great at design, but it looks like you need the assistance of someone who can do teh peoplez.

I work for free if you promise that when you blow up and start making money you think of me for your next project where you need to fill paid positions.

Here's a quick 10 minute sketch I did of an image you posted back on page 11 showing what improvements I can bring. As well, if you want, I can even just do sketches like this for you to create a basis to finish up in your own style. It just seems that figure drawing is probably something you're still improving on and in the meantime you could use a little experienced help in that arena.

Name:	demobsketch.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	93.1 KB 
ID:	106190

Quote Originally Posted by hseiken View Post
    Hey, do you still need help? I used a picture you posted saying you need help but have no dough as a basis for a reimagining.

You're great at design, but it looks like you need the assistance of someone who can do teh peoplez.

I work for free if you promise that when you blow up and start making money you think of me for your next project where you need to fill paid positions.

Here's a quick 10 minute sketch I did of an image you posted back on page 11 showing what improvements I can bring. As well, if you want, I can even just do sketches like this for you to create a basis to finish up in your own style. It just seems that figure drawing is probably something you're still improving on and in the meantime you could use a little experienced help in that arena.

Name:	demobsketch.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	93.1 KB 
ID:	106190
    Well I am always looking for more artists for my Kaidan setting of Japanese horror (PFRPG) project. We are currently still writing and developing the Kaidan Game Masters Setting Guide and a Players Guide (2 books) that was funded by a Kickstarter, 2 years ago. Consider sending an email to wordsmith (at) gmail (dot) com, attention: Steven D. Russell of Rite Publishing (the publisher I work with for this project). Tell him you've contacted me (Michael Tumey), and show samples of your Asian styled art, and other portfolio work. Don't do this for free, charge something, but if you stay cheap, you'll definitely get work, plus Steve is always looking for new artists for other projects he needs. Note that the Kaidan books will have a full color cover, but all interior art will be B/W - grayscale, so your shown sample really does fit the kind of art we are looking for!

Cool, I'll definitely do that. Thanks! Been kinda wondering how one gets into to do those kinds of book illustrations because I've always enjoyed the books for the art (I don't really play tabletop games, but you'll always see me thumb through the guide and rule books checking out the drawings. )

One of my favorite artists of all time was Quinton Hoover...