Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default How to split a web site in minor parts

In an earlier post I asked about performance of text replacing in large files.
    Now I want to start splitting my really for WD huge website in smaller parts regarding subject matters - to limit the damage.
    How can I cut out a subsequent set of pages and create a new website consisting of these pages without creating them from scratch? Of course I know the way to drag and drop but I need a better way to do that.
    Did I miss a thread here or is anybody able to help me?

Oscor

Default Re: How to split a web site in minor parts

Perhaps you can open the original *.web file and delete all pages except the page you want to separate, then 'Save As' a new *.web file.

Repeat this (being careful not to accidentally overwrite the original *.web) until you have all the separate *.web's you require.

Sounds very good since some of my themed parts consist of more than 20 pages.
    To carry out this, I have to delete each single page of the original part, I suppose. Do I have the option to select more than one page at a time to speed up this action?

I have to do this tonight, so I will report later. Well, now I feel relieved to have a method, which will save me a lot of time anyway. thx

OsCor

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    Perhaps you can open the original *.web file and delete all pages except the page you want to separate, then 'Save As' a new *.web file.

Repeat this (being careful not to accidentally overwrite the original *.web) until you have all the separate *.web's you require.

Sledger thats great I have to do the sme thing with one of my sites and have been pondering the best way to do it this by far is the simplest way I think, one poin though remember it will play havoc with your internal link structure remember all your links to different pages that are in different directories will need updating.

Thanks Sledger you have just saved me a hell of a lot of time

After translating small parts of my web into a subset two further questions arose:
    1) Deleting pages in WD does not apply on the bitmap gallery. All the bitmaps are still present and must be deleted each one by hand. Is there another way?

2) Having changed my background by translating page content upon a rectangle before filling in a background bitmap, my page is surrounded by a line, which I don´t know where it comes from. (Page width 908pixels height and width, rectangle 900pixels, both page and rectangle do not have an edge)

http://www.come-design.net/kerzen/index.htm

OsCor

Quote Originally Posted by OsCor View Post
    1) Deleting pages in WD does not apply on the bitmap gallery. All the bitmaps are still present and must be deleted each one by hand. Is there another way?
    No need to remove unused bitmaps by hand, unused bitmaps will be removed when you save and close that .web file.

Quote Originally Posted by OsCor View Post
    2) Having changed my background by translating page content upon a rectangle before filling in a background bitmap, my page is surrounded by a line
    Couldn't really say without seeing your .web file

One of my subsets with background:Ringkissen_Subset.web

Would you please have a look at it?

OsCor

Your 'Hinter.jpg' (used for the pages background) has a light border (line) and because it tiles, will create a double-width line at each intersection.
    You need to create a background image with a clean edge free from borders and anti aliased edges.

Oooh, I can´t believe, that I have failed to see that It may not be exactly ugly but was not intended anyway…

Many thanks
    OsCor