Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: 5.1.2" "- Live effects on photos now rendered at photo resolution"

Here's one workaround:

use a third party editor for 'live effects'

ok it may not be what you want - but the only other way is to install the CD version and the patch - Steve has covered this

not all software companies make their final/latest versions available for download, though its getting rarer granted
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    Are you having a laugh?
    Of course it's been noticed. Xara fixed it.
    Anyone who has registered the DL version will receive their CD and then can update it to the fixed version.
    Software companies generally don't offer free patches to trial version users.
    No, not really laughing yet, actually.
    An odd system they have.
    I did see they listed it as fixed, but again, in an inaccesible solution to test as the patch I understand wont work on a trial. In my experience, hardly anyone does it like this, and so it's reasonable to want to make sure a fixed but this important is indeed fixed. Your screenshots indicate quit an improvement in live effect quality.
    IP

The patch will not work on a trial version. However my experience has been that once a patch has been made available the trial version is usually also updated.

Have you tried downloading a new copy of the trial?
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    Here's one workaround:

use a third party editor for 'live effects'

ok it may not be what you want - but the only other way is to install the CD version and the patch - Steve has covered this

not all software companies make their final/latest versions available for download, though its getting rarer granted
    So if I go to the settings area, and not use the internal XPE, but pick some external editor as default, then the bug doesn't manifest? (so maybe it's linked to using the [old] XPE as the live-effects conduit?)
    IP

no - I don't think I said that

rather I was thinking that most of the live effects in xtreme can be done in other programs [if you have them of course]

I don't think just setting, say photoshop, as your bitmap editor is going to affect how xtreme works internally
    That said I have not tried it as I do not have the problem, I was just trying to think of some way of dealing with it other than the obvious one
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...
    IP

thanks for your thoughts, handrawn

this thread has been helpful, I'm just trying to have a mechanism to see the patch solution's effectiveness myself, the earlier helpful screenshots notwithstanding....

so my thoughts about an external editor, I'm just trying to pinpoint where in the the process the resolution loss bug is introduced. (picking an internal or external live effect tool --> opening up the selected object in that tool --> applying tools or settings in the tool ui--> hitting OK --->external tool saving changes to xara and closing )

I assume it's somewhere about 80% through that process that the photo object acquires the bad resolution it seems to keep thereafter
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by Tallis View Post
    I'm just trying to have a mechanism to see the patch solution's effectiveness myself
    Install from your CD >> Help >> Update Program
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    Install from your CD >> Help >> Update Program
    No can do.

As I mentioned earlier, I have the trial, and it's still 5.1.0.9131 as of Feb 18, 2010.
    IP