Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 5.1.2" "- Live effects on photos now rendered at photo resolution"

When was this bug introduced? v4? v5.xx?

I just installed a new trial copy of v5 to a laptop and I do see the bug. Using the live effect tool, I apply a plugin or two, and the result is a more pixelated photo than before (much). So I see that there seems to be some resolution loss in the object that you apply to live effect to. This is apparently independent of which plugin I use (largely)

I don't know if it happens with the built-in xara photo tools, or only with 3rd party plugins like cutout (masking), exposure, color adjustment etc tools.

Since I like to work with photos, closeup, at hires, this bug is important to me. I'd like to see if this is fixed in 5.1.2. In the meantime--

Is there a workaround for this if I can't update a trial? How? I tried to save a bitmap copy of an object pixelated by this live effect bug, say at 300 and 600 ppi, just to see if the pixelation is merely displayed but not saved in a copy. But all that does is produce an equally low res pixelated exact copy of the live effected object-- it does not save if from this low res appearance.

This bug, I dont know why I didnt read about this before, it essentially cripples xara v5 for anyone who even moderately relies on xara to work with photo projects like cards, calendars, manipulations, etc.

Thanks for any help!
    IP

Default Re: 5.1.2" "- Live effects on photos now rendered at photo resolution"

Hi Tallis,
    Does this help?

From the Xtreme 5 help file:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	live-effect-dpi.png 
Views:	201 
Size:	17.4 KB 
ID:	69780

Effects
    Here you can set the default resolution of Live Effects and locked effects.

New Effects Are Locked By Default
    This will make any Live Effects you create locked by default, so they will not change if you move or resize them.

Default Live Effect resolution
    If a Live Effect resolution is set to Automatic, then any Live Effects on an object will, by default, be produced at screen resolution. If you wish to print your design you can set one Live Effect to a higher DPI and all effects on that object (as long as the other effects are set to automatic) will automatically be rendered at the highest DPI. It won't then be necessary to alter each effect one by one. Or you can set a different default in this window, and all Live Effects will be created at that resolution.

Default Locked effect resolution
    This is the default resolution for locked effects. If you wish to change the DPI of a locked effect, you need to recreate that effect. Please note: this only applies to locked effects, and does not apply to a locked Live Effect.
    IP

thank you. unfortunately the answer is not a single bit.

those are indeed the exact settings i have...

i'm referring to the bug referenced in the 5.1.2 fix release notes, more than any specific user settings, which I have tried to max out (to keep resolution maximized on each setting screen)
    IP

I see, you have the trial version and so are not using the fixed version.
    IP

Do these comparisons help any?

Both were at default application settings.
    One showing the results pre-update the other showing the result post-update.

Pre-Update

Name:	Xtreme 5 - pre update.png 
Views:	215 
Size:	120.0 KB 
ID:	69782
    Post-Update

Name:	Xtreme 5 - post-update.png 
Views:	231 
Size:	100.4 KB 
ID:	69781
    Last edited by steve.ledger; 13 February 2010 at 01:22 AM. Reason: To clearly show which image is which
    IP

sledge-
    i dont know what to make of your examples, the second one looks worse, but that's after the 5.1.2 patch. i not sure i understand.
    IP

No - that's just the way vb has arranged them.
    I didn't specifiy left and right
    One showing the results pre-update the other showing the result post-update.
    I have edited my post above to be more precise, but you can hover your mouse over thumbnails to see which is which as they are named accordingly.
    IP

well,thanks. it's painfully clear, the version before 5.1.2that everyone's been using is apparently tragically flawed in half the program's prowess (raster)-- quite a shock to the bitmap half of the xara family.

how this has gone unnoticed so far is beyond me.

so the only way to get rid of this serious anomaly is to get the mailed disk, a\not the dl, no other way?

and what is the workaround in the meantime, anyone?

(in other words, what manner of saving, or duplicating can get around the resolution degradation using liveeffects in pre- 5.1.2 versions?

other than (gulp) using photoshop to edit and clean up every bloody raster before arranging in xara.. quite counterintuitive to xara's claim that xtreme can handle bitmaps so much more quickly and astutely than any other editor (raster or quasi-vector)... this is not good.

thank you
    IP

Noone has noticed this bug? Is anyone affected by the fact that this has not been fixed in the dl version ( i rarely bother with actual mailed things, to me they're not as convenienct)

Any workaround? (i.e., exactly what part of the liveeffect process initiates this problem, and is there a way to get around it?) I already tried "create bitmap copy" to see if saving would return the res to 300dpi but it didn't-- so I know the problem is in the liveeffect already at that point.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by Tallis View Post
    Noone has noticed this bug? Is anyone affected by the fact that this has not been fixed in the dl version
    Are you having a laugh?
    Of course it's been noticed. Xara fixed it.
    Anyone who has registered the DL version will receive their CD and then can update it to the fixed version.
    Software companies generally don't offer free patches to trial version users.
    IP