Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Making text and other graphics for TV

Hello old friends!

I have been making a 30sec promo/trailer on DVD.

It's 16:9 PAL UK, Got a template for safe zones, 4:3, and so on.

However, when making lovely anti-aliased texts, some look out of focus and some shudder when rendered out onto DVD and shown on my TV.

WWW is pretty short of TV graphic tutorials and so, wondered if you folks had any knowledge/experience to share?

Thank and kindest regards
    John

Default Re: Making text and other graphics for TV

The "shuddering" may be caused by interlacing if you're not viewing with progressive scan.

If the text has any spots where it's realy thin, like a thin font or a serif or something of that nature it will appear to flicker because it's not visible when both sets of scan lines are displayed, or the thickness of horizontal parts can appear to fluctuate between thick and thin as it's displayed.

You can get around that by thickening up the text a little bit or possibly even shifting it's position up or down by even a pixel to position it better.

You may also be able to fix the problem directly using your video production software. I'm not sure what you're using, but I use Premiere Elements. Any graphics elements I have I use the field options to enable "flicker removal", which makes things like this look much better.

For the out of focus stuff that's hard to say without seeing an example. Usually when I have that problem it's because the text is a little bit too small or a color that doesn't represent well.
    This signature would be seven words long if it was six words shorter.

Default Re: Making text and other graphics for TV

I have been using Magix movie edit pro but will try the same exercise using Sony Vegas. The text was large but I did use white on real black and the high contrast may have caused interlacing bounce, as you say.

Thanks for advice and I will post my findings after experimentation!
    Regards again!
    John