Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wrong menu

Unhappy Wrong menu

Sorry if this has been posted before.

I had an old copy of my Frontpage website containing a Webstyle navbar. Recently I updated my Webstyle Navbar in my current website but, when I opened Webstyle, it reverted to the old copy not contaiiong all the menu selections.

My questions are:

Where does Webstyle save the files it produces?
    How can I change to an alternative set of files if needs be?

Apologies if this is a bit confusing.

Default Re: Wrong menu

Hello dwo,

Welcome to Talkgraphics.

Which files are you wanting to find? The Webstyle project files? Or the graphics and javascript files for the menu.

The project files are saved to C:\Program Files\Xara\Webstyle 4\WSTemplates folder and have the text (Project) appended to a folder name.

Your exported graphics and javascript files for a menu are saved to a folder determined by where you last exported. If you created a menu using Webstyle 4 via the Frontpage extension, the graphics and javascript will be exported to a folder determined by your Frontpage project.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Thanks for trying to help.

What has happened is that the nav bar that shows up on the page I am editing in frontpage is not the nav bar that Webstyle uses when I try and edit it. Also if I use the nav bar suggested by Webscape and save it to the page in Frontpage, when I view the page in a browser the nav bar is blank.

What I want to do is to use the nav bar shown in frontpage and not the one opened by Webscape. Really confusing I know.

One quick question:

What is the folder called you mention that is saved by the Frontpage project and where is it?

Thanks.
    Last edited by Soquili; 07 February 2010 at 03:28 PM. Reason: removed unnecessary quote

You tell Frontpage where to save your project and what to name it, I cannot know what name you used or where you saved the project.

You could look for a My Webs folder within your My Documents folder, your project folder may be within the My Webs folder. However as I already mentioned you may have selected another location and folder name.

I do not use Frontpage so cannot provide any assistance on that subject.

BTW it is not necessary to quote a post that immediately preceeds your own post. It is a waste of space and bandwidth and makes reading threads more difficult. I will delete the quoted text from your post.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Sorry about quoting but it is good when you can see what you are replying to when composing a post especially when you forget what was said. Also you cant know if someone else is going to post before you so, if they did, your post would not be after the one you are referring to.

Thanks for trying to help. A couple of last questions:

If I have two websites with two Webstyles how can I change one for the other?

When I alter a nav bar how do you ensure it alters the nav bars on every page os the site?

Are the websites created in Frontpage? Or other program?

Question 1: If you are using say notepad to create or edit your html pages you simply use find and replace to change the references for the javascript created by Webstyle. Make sure you copy the correct graphics and javascript to the folder specified in the html for the files you replaced the names with.

If using Frontpage you would delete all references to the existing menu then use the Frontpage extension to open Webstyle and open (or create new) project for the menu you want to use.

Question 2: Use the same technique mentioned in Question 1 reply. If using notepad then open each html file and do the find and replace.

If using Frontpage your pages will all be in the one Frontpage project.

BTW if you need to refer to the previous post while composing, simply scroll down. All the previous posts are listed in reverse chronological order.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	reply-scroll.gif 
Views:	251 
Size:	85.7 KB 
ID:	69683  
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Thanks again for trying to help.

I think I will leave well enough alone as I have masses of pages on my website plus I am not that sure of what I am doing.

Hi, me again.

Still struggling with this problem.

What happens is that the Webstyle4 that opens in Frontpage i.e. the Navigator bars, is not the same as is displayed on the internet when the website is visited.

When I open Frontpage the navbars shown are correct but when I right click and open the 'Frontpage Components Properties' that launch Webstyle4 it opens up different nav bars.

One question might help. Where does Webstyle save its files it creates?

Also is it possible to find the correct files as obviously there must be two sets floating around my system and copy one set over the other?

This is really confusing so I hope someone can help with some idiots guide.

When using the Frontpage extension the files created by webstyle are saved to the location you specify for your frontpage web site.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

I understand that but I can't find them. Can you tell me what they are? If not what extentions should I look for? Thanks.