Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: How about lean version of Xtreme

I think the fundamental issue here is the way changes made to support web features affect the vector tools. Custom installation wouldn't resolve that.

I'm all for having a customizable interface. Custom installation, too, but I don't think either one is likely to turn off a web support "improvement" such as layer retention.

I have moved this out of the Dear Xara forum (which is not intended as a place for debating) and into the general Xtreme and Xtreme Pro forum.

The question Bill has raised is an important one which other members might like to follow and add their thoughts to.

Good thinking, Steve. :-)

I had not planed on any debate. I simply wanted to make my desire known for a version without all the extras that seem to have added a lot of bugs and features that I personally do not need.

Many people have posted their desires in the Dear Xara forum, shouldn't a moderator have the same priviledge?

Not that I am complaining about the move to the main forum or anyone posting their thoughts. I'm sure the Xara development team checks both areas.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Yes we do.
    But it's easier to track messages in the Dear Xara forum because all of them are directly addressed to Xara while most of the stuff on this forum is not so important.
    So it is still better to have the proposition properly posted on the Dear Xara forum.
    John.

A little french village east of Dallas, TX called Forney And now Austria and Germany too

I may be ignorant of the issues at hand, but why request these things be stripped? Wouldn't it be better to have a dialog to popup when pasting in place to turn off the retention of layers? This would allow you to keep the tools in your tool box rather than throw them away. I am thinking of something similar to the drag and drop of bitmaps while holding the shift key. Something that gives the user the option of what to replace. I know that this would add an extra step but wouldn't it be better to keep the functionality? I do alot of web design and even for me, trying to copy buttons from (mouseoff/mouseover) layer to (a popup) layer is a pain.

It's just a thought...

Eric

After I posted I saw this thread in Dear Xara which asks for the same thing. http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthread.php?t=42572
    Last edited by bcire68; 11 February 2010 at 10:16 AM. Reason: New information
    I'm never wrong. I thought I was wrong once but it turns out that I was mistaken.
    Web Templates. My Beginner Video Tutorials
    My Club. My Album.
    My Other Album. My Tutorial.

put a bit simplistically..

there was a time when xtreme was a vector app that happen to use bitmaps rather cleverly in the making of vector objects

this has expanded now to a point where I am not at all sure which of the three strings: 'vector' 'fun-with-photos' or 'HTML generation' is the most important in terms of the product itself; but know I still only need the first

in the course of this many things have had to be changed - some great things have been added, but workflows have seen some disruption - in some cases quite heavy disruption

I guess some of us want it both ways - cherry pick the new stuff and keep the old ways
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

It would be a great Idea to have separate products.

Although I don't "feel" the web impact in my work that much (apart from paste with layers), I imagine it would be easier for developers to have a designated application, not always being having to knit in between constraints.

The Web functionality wouldn't get in the way of drawing ones and vice versa.

I don't mind the photo tools, in fact I use levels a lot.

Having a dedicated "Professional" tool would less convey that "Jack of all trades" lens flares impression.
    Everybody likes to use a "Professional" tool

Marc

The web design market is much larger than vector and I would imagine that the development budget for Xara has been substantially increased by the addition of the latest web functionality. Hopefully the next version will have been expanded in both directions.

Xara could make a Web Designer like version of Xtreme.
    WD is Xtreme with most of it's controls taken away.
    In other words instead of stripping away at the internals of the software, just eliminate half of it's buttons.
    True love is the ultimate truth