Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Windows 7 not displaying Xara thumbs

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    Chris it's a 64bit OS issue only.
    Xara is a 32bit application running emulated under a 64bit OS.
    Xara software isn't alone with Explorer thumbnail issues.
    As has already been shown, there are way's to force them to show under Windows 64bit systems.
    Ahhhhh I see sorry everyone my bad missed that

Chris

Yes, that is exactly what happens to me - the graphics are set to extra large and everything else displays as extra large EXCEPT the .xar files which show a box around them.

Regarding the 64 bit vs 32 bit operating system, attached is a cartoon I did many years ago.

Nothing attached

Quote Originally Posted by jimhanus View Post
    I use Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit, XX5 non pro, I only get large thumbnails. Set to Extra Large, there's a box outlining where an Extra Large thumbnail should be but the actual thumbnail is only large.

Jim
    Actually there is an intermediate step between LARGE and EXTRA LARGE where Icon thumbnails show larger than 'Large Icons' but not always 'Extra Large Icons'.
    However Windows Explorer will show 'Extra Large Icons' for hi-res photo work which is performed in a photo document template.

See demo:

FULLSCREEN or DOWNLOAD 2.45mb

Yes, I am able to resize my JPGS, TIFs, etc. but the .Xar files never get any larger. See below. I also attached the cartoon which didn't upload last time.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	For Xara.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	7.0 KB 
ID:	70537   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	No_Date_Listed (15).jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	34.3 KB 
ID:	70538  

I was talking about and demonstrating hi res photos in .xar document Ceal.
    Using the Blank Photo template.

Does this have something to do with displaying Extra Large Xara thumbnails in Win 7? I'm sorry if I'm missing the connection. I don't use high resolution photos in my cartoons, as a rule. I either draw them in Xara or draw them by hand, digitize them and then and trace them in Xara.

Do you think maybe there isn't a workaround for displaying extra large thumbs for .Xar files in Windows 7? Or maybe it's on the list of fixes?

Thumbnails are written as .gif files in the header of the .xar and .web file.
    I'm sure that the gif image is large enough for 'Large Icons' and the step between 'Large Icons' and 'Extra Large Icons' (as clearly shown in my video).

If the .xar format were to to be updated to write larger .gif thumbnail images into the file, old .xar files would not change.

I guess it depends how large your monitor and screen res is as to how useful the various icons sizes are to you, in spite of twin 24" monitors I personally regard 'Extra Large Icons' as wasted space. Leaving the icons at Medium and using an expanded preview area works fine for me.

Hello everybody,

the final and correct solution is to register the DLL-Files of a 32Bit Program in a 64 Bit System.

HOW to:

Open the command prompt as Administrator and change to the Directory where your Xara-Version is installed.
    Then change to the folder "XaraDLLs"
    Your Path have to look like this: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Xara\Xara_Designer_Pro_7_DLV\XaraDLLs"
    If you are in this correct folder type:
    regsvr32 XarThumb64.dll
    and press enter.
    Now your DLL-Files are registered and you can see Previews in all Sizes of your Xara-Files in Windows Explorer.

The "...final and correct solution ..." has been posted a number of times here, but thank you for confirming it :-)
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64