Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Unhappy Windows 7 not displaying Xara thumbs

Yesterday I got my new laptop with Windows 7. After installing my sofware and files I noticed that Xara files show only the pictograms instead of the miniatures. Strange enough there are two files that do show up as miniature!

In the file options the miniature view is activated so that isn't the problem.

For me this is a huge problem because I've got more than a thousand Xara files and its really difficult to search for files if I can't see them.

Has anyone else got this problem and more important: does anyone know how to solve this?

Default Re: Windows 7 not displaying Xara thumbs

Please see this post in the Read the FAQs forum.

How to force Xara thumbnails in Windows Vista / 7 64bit
    http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthread.php?t=42034

Thumbs up Re: Windows 7 not displaying Xara thumbs

Thank you very much, I searched the forums but couldn't find anything.
    I called the Windows 7 helpdesk here in the Netherlands and they started a Remote Desktop Connection. The helpdesk man came up with your post!!!!
    When I saw the forum screen and the post with your name I was flabbergasted!

First there were random thumbnails that were displayed correct but after carefully scrolling through the thumbnails in the "save as" screen and using F5 they all displayed.

I'm really glad and thank you so very much to figure out the solution.

I recently bought a new laptop with Vista 64bit OS. Steve helped me find his post and it worked. However the next day I could not get it to work again.

Searching the internet I found another way that has worked every time.

A little background: the display of thumbnails is accomplished with what is called a shell extension.

64bit applications have problems with 32bit shell extensions, in other words the thumbnails don't get created using the 64bit Windows Explorer.

Vista 64bit OS includes a copy of the 32bit Windows Explorer, however simply running the .exe file gets redirected to the 64bit version of Windows Explorer.

To get the 32bit version to run you need to create a desktop shortcut using command line options. See the following CODE section.

Code:

C:\Windows\SysWOW64\explorer.exe /separate, ::{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}
    Right click your desktop and select New >> Shortcut. Copy the code in the section above then paste into the Location text box of the shortcut dialog. Click Next and enter a name for the shortcut. I used 32bit Explorer. Click OK to close the dialog and save the shortcut.

Using the shortcut you can run the 32bit Windows Explorer and use the Search feature to find all your .xar files. Be sure to select Medium, Large, or Extra Large icons for the view. This will create thumbnails for all your .xar files at one time. These thumbnails will be viewable using the 64bit version of Windows Explorer.

The code for the 32bit Explorer shortcut was found on several sites but I was unable to determine where the original post may have been, so I do not know who to thank for this great tip.

For anyone that is not familiar with using Vista Search to find a specific file extension: In the upper right of the Windows Explorer there is a Search text entry box. To find only .xar files you should type "type:xar" without the double quotes. Substitute .web for .xar to find all your .web Web Designer files.
    Last edited by Soquili; 30 January 2010 at 02:00 PM. Reason: Added information about the search feature.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Thumbs up Re: Windows 7 not displaying Xara thumbs

Fortunately it still works but if ever it doesn´t anymore I will try your solution. Thanks for informing me of this issue.

Thanks guys for the tip. I didn't even know you could get thumbnails of .xar and .web files! Nice addition.

Unhappy Re: Windows 7 not displaying Xara thumbs

The post for forcing Xara thumbs in Windows 7 worked EXCEPT the thumbs were not extra large. This was a problem for me because my libraries are cartoons and I need to see the captions. I am careful to pick only Extra Large.

I tried your tip on using the 32 bit Explorer shortcut but that didn't seem to work with Windows 7 Pro unless I'm doing it wrong. You did mention this was for Vista.

At work, I tried Windows XP Professional and Xtreme Pro 3.2. When I used this, my thumbnails displayed Extra Large.

I would like to use Windows 7 Professional since I already bought it for home use. Would you know if I can see .xar thumbnails at Extra Large size or if it only displays large or below. I am usign the trial version of Xara Xtreme Pro 5.0, by the way.

I also tried the Virtual XP that is inside Windows 7 Professional. However, I couldn't see .Xar files at Xtra Large Size.

.xar and .web thumbnails have always worked for me on Win7 and Vista out of the box no additions needed??? mmmm very strange

Chris

Chris it's a 64bit OS issue only.
    Xara is a 32bit application running emulated under a 64bit OS.
    Xara software isn't alone with Explorer thumbnail issues.
    As has already been shown, there are way's to force them to show under Windows 64bit systems.

I use Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit, XX5 non pro, I only get large thumbnails. Set to Extra Large, there's a box outlining where an Extra Large thumbnail should be but the actual thumbnail is only large.

Jim