Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

ugh! i've been trying to take this photoshop crown shape and import it into xara3d. i just want to take the shape and make it 3d so i can color and shade it to match some text i made. i attached it but had to make it a .gif to fit on this site.

can't seem to do it and i've feel like a moron!

can anyone help?

thanks much [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

matt
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    IP

ugh! i've been trying to take this photoshop crown shape and import it into xara3d. i just want to take the shape and make it 3d so i can color and shade it to match some text i made. i attached it but had to make it a .gif to fit on this site.

can't seem to do it and i've feel like a moron!

can anyone help?

thanks much [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

matt
    IP

Matt, I dont know if you can import raster images into Xara3d. You certainly can into Xara.

Probably the safest format to try would be a tiff file. You might need to flatten your photoshop file to do this (depends on the version of photoshop)

Beth
    IP

Matt,

To import your crown into Xara3D, you would need to create a vector copy using XaraX or another vector program to get the shape. Export the shape as a .wmf (windows metafile) then import that shape into Xara3D. Once you have the shape, you could then use the .gif file you have posted as a texture for the shape. If you are using the CD version of Xara3D, you could import the shape as a Xara .xar or .web file directly into Xara3D. If you are using the download version of Xara3D you can download a plugin that will also allow you to import .xar and .web files.

I don't have Xara3D here at work, or I could post and example.

I hope this helps.

Soquili [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update
    IP

i also have xarax but even when i export the shape from photoshop to xarax (in any file format), then export again from xarax in the proprietary xarax file format... it just appears in xara3d as a big square... and looks nothing like my crown shape [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

i can't seem to cut away the background from the crown image itself... so i think xara3d thinks it just a big square... since that is what all of these programs except for photoshop see it as. one big square image with a texture of a crown on it.

i just want the crown shape to appear in xara3d so i can light it and return it to a file where the matching 3d text is.

thanks again... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

matt
    IP

Hi Matt,

Yes, the image as is will only be a big square. You will have to create a vector version of the shape in XaraX. You can import the existing file into XaraX and trace it, or make the shape without tracing. If you import the shape, you will need to delete it from XaraX before exporting as .wmf or .emf. If you leave the rastor image in the file, you will still get a big square. I downloaded your .gif and traced it in XaraX and then imported the .xar into Xara3D to create the attached .gif file.

If anything isn't clear, please ask.

Soquili [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	crown.gif 
Views:	261 
Size:	12.3 KB 
ID:	6571  
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update
    IP