Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Red face Xara wizardry to create transparency?

Hi folks,

Not specifically Xara related, but I need to create a copy of a ground plan in such a way that only the 'lines' are copied, meaning the 'remainder' of the (white) sheet becomes transparent.

Purpose is to import it in an svg capable prog (Sketchup) and continue working from there.

I was thinking of a color filter, where I could pick the color of the bluish paper to be filtered out, but honestly this is out of my league .

Any ideas?

Thanks for your help & suggestions,

Erwin
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Lexje; 25 January 2010 at 11:37 PM. Reason: attachment
    Erwin Panen

Default Re: Xara wizardry to create transparency?

Hey,
    I would just lock the scanned image on its present layer and just draw the lines using freehand tool on a layer, then delete the original layer. Basically all the lines are straight lines.
    Jim

Try Mehdi eraser (live effects tool)and select your blue colour. Because it isn't a pure flat colour (a little mottled) not all the blue will disappear but if you increase the tolerance it will remove more but then might start to effect the black as its fine/feint. Playing with colour and contrast before hand might improve things.
    Derek
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by masque; 26 January 2010 at 09:34 AM.

I don't know how relaxed you are using SketchUp but why not just use that? It seems a strange way of starting out on a straight forward plan. If you really want to use Xara programme do what Jim states but the easier way would to do the same thing in SketchUp with your scanned drawing and work from there. By the way have you noticed that your drawing has been imported back to front, look at the text at the top, it may be un-imortant to you for the actual drawing.
    Design is thinking made visual.

Thanks for all your kind suggestions.
    Perhaps a little clarification:
    I'm not a real 'professional' but I'm fairly proficient with both Xara and Sketchup.
    Off course always take into account that a person 'never' really knows 'all' the in and outs of a piece of software, things become even more complicated when you start using forementioned softwares in mixed situations - I often find myself trying to use Xara keyboard shortcuts in Sketchup and vice versa :-)

To the point:
    I agree with doing the lot in Sketchup alone - but:
    If I import the ground plan in my existing drawing (and yes, I realize it's mirrored - thanks for pointing out, but this is on purpose :-) ) the area on which I need to continue drawing is completely covered by the imported image.
    That is my problem.

That's also why Xara jumped to my mind with it's transparency tool.
    If such a tool would exist in Sketchup, I would be golden.
    If I could enhance the image to be semi-transparent that would solve my problem.

Thanks again for your kind suggestions!

Erwin
    Erwin Panen

If you import your bitmap image into SketchUp as a texture and apply it to a face it becomes a material you can edit. One of the properties you can change is the opacity, making it as transparent as you need it to be.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	su7.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	24.6 KB 
ID:	69407  

Rich, thanks for your pointer,-
    This is more than probably the way to go - Still experimenting though.
    I'm trying to check scaling and dimensioning correctness, off course it's not ment to be super correct, but it seems fairly acceptable.

Thanks a lot! Learnt something new today :-)

Erwin
    Erwin Panen

Glad it helped! I would definitely minimize the number of interim software packages and steps used.

Very true!
    On the other hand, knowing your way around with graphical formats is always a definite +.

May be helpfull to others:
    Vectormagic can trace and convert an 'image' to EPS, SVG, PDF or PNG.
    Available as a webservice or desktop.

There's also SVG to raster image conversion available here.

Thanks a lot!

Erwin
    Erwin Panen