Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I tried exporting the jsam logo xar file as a xara EPS and it went right into Photoshop 5 perfectly. Unless I am missing something I think this should work for you OK.

Stan
    Last edited by Egg Bramhill; 12 May 2008 at 04:25 PM. Reason: Attachment Removed ~ Posters request ~ Egg

Sorry, the resulting file must be .ai.

Robert

Why do you need to bring the image into Photoshop?

I'm just curious what you want to do to the image that requires Photoshop, not being my usual cantankerous self :-)

And did you try exporting the image as a TIFF file? Since Photoshop is a bitmap editing application, bringing your logo (it turned out very nice, by the way)why not export it as a bitmap?

I tried fiddling with your image, converting your white outlines to shape, subtracting the shapes from the jury box, and deleting the extra shapes. But I had no luck getting the image into Photoshop 5.5 in either AI or Illustrator EPS formats. I had some trouble with Xara's EPS Automatic setting but it imported OK in PostScript 1 and PostScript 2 options. But for reasons only known to the Xara development team, it came in in black and white on a transparent background.

I was however, able to open it in Illustrator 9.0 without a problem. And as it is an Illustrator export filter, and not a Photoshop PSD export filter, I would say the filter did what it is supposed to do. And of course from Illustrator, I was able to bring the AI file into Photoshop.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<A HREF="http://home.earthlink.net/~garypriester" TARGET=_blank>
    burl me to beehives</A>

Photoshop 6 cannot import a .ai clipping path that it itself created. It will import a .ai made by Illustrator. Xarax cannot open a genuine Illustrator.ai

Xarax cannot import this clipping path, but Xara 1.5 did, even though it needed to be given a stroke. I sent some Xarax eps and .ai files to Chris Cox of Adobe. He told me that Xara files were barely legal. Adobe applications seem to accept only the most narrow of interpretations.

Xarax opens something(try tab) and see where this group is
    -20.32.-20.32
    The most successful import is as Corel.eps and give the object a stroke, but only for the clipping path.

Xarax.eps is the best export. This is still slightly offset when imported /placed in Photoshop. There was another fault in Photoshop 6 which was corrected mysteriously in 6.01.
    They never admitted anything.

Anything with transparency is a problem, when imported.

If anyone wants to waste a few hours working out what happens I am posting a zip which contains a true I9 circle and square as well as a Photoshop clipping path.

Good luck
    Attached Files Attached Files

I think rgremill is trying to say why have an ai export at all if Illustrator can't handle Xara's
    advanced features. Leave the eps export and get rid of the ai... or even better leave the ai but have a popup that explains Illustrator's limitations when handling Xara's advanced features.

Does anyone use the ai export?

Mickie

Thanks for looking at it Gary. Unfortunately, I do not own Illustrator, so I can't go from Xara to AI to Photoshop.

I do use tiff files as you suggested.

Is probably quite usual in this GFX business. I really think every graphic package should have A LOT MORE DETAILED troubleshooting guide for export/import but it seems the authors of software are embarassed of the fact that this feature is not perfect. By the way, this tragicomical example of false advertising is taken from Illustrator 9 OPEN FILE dialog. (fact is that AI can not open CDR8 files and probably not even cdr7)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hah.gif 
Views:	311 
Size:	4.1 KB 
ID:	14321  

I don't have Acrobat. Is it worth getting? Does it play well with Xara? How much do I lose?

Postscript files. How do I create them? Do I just do the Xara X export then chose a postscript level and that's it? I know it works when you export Postscript 1 and bring that into photoshop.

I've tried installing the postscript driver that comes with Illustrator, but I'm running 2000 and it only works with NT.

Still looking for answers...

Sheffield Abella
    sheff@sheff.com
    www.sheff.com
    Sheff
    My Site

Sheff,

I have Acrobat 4 and love it - immensely useful! I'll spring for the upgrade to 5 pretty soon.

Creating a PS file means to pick any suitable printer driver for high-res output (Linotronic and other image-setters) and, when printing, just directing it to FILE instead of to LPT. That creates an usually huge PS file, which can then be downloaded to an image setter for separations.

There's more to it, but that's the essence.

K
    K
    www.klausnordby.com/xara (big how-to article)
    www.xaraxone.com/FeaturedArt/kn/ (I was the first-ever featured artist in the Xone)
    www.graphics.com (occasional columnist, "The I of The Perceiver")

I may need to eventually buy Acrobat since illustrator has turned out to be such a piece of sh*t.

Check out this last message. I'm trying place a photoshop file in illustrator. I'm so tired of giving Adobe my money.

The hell of it all....

Sheffield Abella
    sheff@sheff.com
    www.sheff.com

[This message was edited by Sheffield Abella on August 20, 2001 at 19:13.]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	joy_of_illustrator.jpg 
Views:	274 
Size:	12.5 KB 
ID:	8449  
    Sheff
    My Site