Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Okay, I've avoided buying illustrator for quite sometime now, but I've broken down and gotten because of a client....

Now the problem is, how do I export from Xara, text, bitmaps, and shapes filled with bitmaps into illustrator without converting everything to curves?

I have Freehand 10, Corel 10 and Illustrator 9. The final file has to be illustrator 9. Illustrator 9 cannot parse illustrator files from Xara.

I despise illustrator. But if someone can tell me a sequence like Xara EPS > Corel 10 > Illustrator, I would be most appreciative.

Sheff
    sheff@sheff.com
    www.sheff.com
    Sheff
    My Site

Okay, I've avoided buying illustrator for quite sometime now, but I've broken down and gotten because of a client....

Now the problem is, how do I export from Xara, text, bitmaps, and shapes filled with bitmaps into illustrator without converting everything to curves?

I have Freehand 10, Corel 10 and Illustrator 9. The final file has to be illustrator 9. Illustrator 9 cannot parse illustrator files from Xara.

I despise illustrator. But if someone can tell me a sequence like Xara EPS > Corel 10 > Illustrator, I would be most appreciative.

Sheff
    sheff@sheff.com
    www.sheff.com
    Sheff
    My Site

Sheffield,

I don't own I9 (though I'd love to get it one of these days - maybe buy your copy a discount? ;-)), but I've had considerable luck with getting AI/EPS files from XaraX into Expression 2, and from that out to AI/EPS and into Photoshop 6.

Bloody circumlocutionary, yes - but maybe it's a tip which could help you somewhat?

K
    K
    www.klausnordby.com/xara (big how-to article)
    www.xaraxone.com/FeaturedArt/kn/ (I was the first-ever featured artist in the Xone)
    www.graphics.com (occasional columnist, "The I of The Perceiver")

Cool! I'll try that. I forgot that I had
    Expression 2.

I'll let you know how it turns out.

Did you export as Xara eps, illustrator eps, or illustrator.ai?

Sheff
    sheff@sheff.com
    www.sheff.com
    Sheff
    My Site

What are your settings? Expression seems to choke on anything Xara specific.

Sheff
    sheff@sheff.com
    www.sheff.com
    Sheff
    My Site

There aren't any "special settings" for the AI export, really. But this only works well with basic vector shapes like logos, etc. - if you add transparency and other complex tricks, the AI format can't handle that. XX's EPS export (bitmapped stuff) is now fairly good, as PS 6 and InDesign will open even very complex EPS files from XX - but E2 can't handle that kind of complexity.

K
    K
    www.xaraxone.com/FeaturedArt/kn/ (I was the first-ever featured artist in the Xone)

Shef

You have to understand the limitations of Illustrator, which compared to Xara are numerous.

Most of Xara's best moves are not supported by Illustrator. Bitmaps are, bitmaps with anything other than flat transparency probably are not.

Illustrator can mask objects, but not in the same method used by Xara. Text is always best to convert to editable shapes first.

I would suggest exporting the elements in a fairly basic configuration, for example the bitmap and the clipping path as separate objects. The reassemble the objects in Illustrator.

Illustrator 9 has made a giant leap from version 8, but it still has a long way to go before it is up to Xara's capabilities.

I have had pretty good luck bringing Xara EPS files into Photoshop 5.5. Maybe you could try that for your clipped bitmaps and then place them in Illustrator.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<a href="http://home.earthlink.net/~garypriester">
    me hoe ebb rivulets</a>

Funny title, Gary! :-)

I agree with you re I9 & procedures.

K
    K

Good luck Sheffield Abella. I tried to create an .ai file and import it into Photoshop with no luck. I got the same parser errors. If your image has to be in Illustrator it may have to be created there in the first place.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I tried to create an .ai file and import it into Photoshop with no luck. I got the same parser errors. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Which is why I export as a Xara EPS and then parse the file in Photoshop. Works fine for me.

If the image is not going to be opened or placed in Illustrator, I should think you would not export it as an Illustrator file.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<a href="http://home.earthlink.net/~garypriester">
    me hoe ebb rivulets</a>