Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Okay, I've avoided buying illustrator for quite sometime now, but I've broken down and gotten because of a client....

Now the problem is, how do I export from Xara, text, bitmaps, and shapes filled with bitmaps into illustrator without converting everything to curves?

I have Freehand 10, Corel 10 and Illustrator 9. The final file has to be illustrator 9. Illustrator 9 cannot parse illustrator files from Xara.

I despise illustrator. But if someone can tell me a sequence like Xara EPS > Corel 10 > Illustrator, I would be most appreciative.

Sheff
    sheff@sheff.com
    www.sheff.com
    Sheff
    My Site

Gary,

If the option to export to .ai exists, then it should work.

If Xara is creating complicated graphics that will not work when exported to Illustrator .ai files, then the program should either:

1.) Tell you how to make your drawing export correctly.
    2.) Export your drawing correctly.
    3.) Not allow the export to .ai option.

We shouldn't have to use .eps files.

Okay, I've avoided buying illustrator for quite sometime now, but I've broken down and gotten because of a client....

Now the problem is, how do I export from Xara, text, bitmaps, and shapes filled with bitmaps into illustrator without converting everything to curves?

I have Freehand 10, Corel 10 and Illustrator 9. The final file has to be illustrator 9. Illustrator 9 cannot parse illustrator files from Xara.

I despise illustrator. But if someone can tell me a sequence like Xara EPS > Corel 10 > Illustrator, I would be most appreciative.

Sheff
    sheff@sheff.com
    www.sheff.com
    Sheff
    My Site

Sheff,
    Hope you don't think I was making light of your situation. I was only trying to cheer you up a bit by pointing out that we are all in the same boat.
    Sadly, lots of us have known since Dec 2000 that Illustrator9 has MAJOR problems. In fact, I think you can't use its EPS files in Photoshop at all (unless you upgrade to PS6). AND, I fear, things are only going to get worse.
    PDF is probably not the answer for your use unless you go right to the printer. Peter's info on alternatives is excellent. Thanks Peter.

Mickie,
    If phrases like "Device N colorspace is converted to alternative colorspace" are not clear to you, I say don't use Distiller. In fact you CAN'T use Distiller until the file is already in Postscript. Stick with PDF Writer and listen to what Peter has said.

Klaus,
    I just read an article in Electronic Publishing re. Acro5:

http://ep.pennnet.com/Articles/Article_Display.cfm?Section=Articles&Su bsection=Display&ARTICLE_ID=112781

That mag really pushes PDF workflow, but as I read between the lines, Acro5 sounds bad not good. Would be interested in your take on the issue.

Regards to all,,,,,,,Tad .

Cool! I'll try that. I forgot that I had
    Expression 2.

I'll let you know how it turns out.

Did you export as Xara eps, illustrator eps, or illustrator.ai?

Sheff
    sheff@sheff.com
    www.sheff.com
    Sheff
    My Site

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I tried to create an .ai file and import it into Photoshop with no luck. I got the same parser errors. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Which is why I export as a Xara EPS and then parse the file in Photoshop. Works fine for me.

If the image is not going to be opened or placed in Illustrator, I should think you would not export it as an Illustrator file.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<a href="http://home.earthlink.net/~garypriester">
    me hoe ebb rivulets</a>

I've avoided buying illustrator for almost 8 years now. And it's for reasons just like this.

I'm not happy at all. Yes I agree that the illustrator option SHOULD work, but it is not the fault of Xara that it doesn't. Freehand doesn't support illustrator above version 7 either.

Begin Rant

In my opinion, Xara is the betamax of vector programs, superior, but not popular. I think that the Xara plugin was far superior to the early flash plugin, but that was when corel was sitting on them, so now the Xara plugin is dead. Gee, thanks Corel.

Unfortunately, illustrator has a strangle hold on many designers either because it's the first program they learned or it's all they know.

For the web, nothing beats Xara. But as many of us here can attest, we deal with these printing hassles all the time. How many times must we be told that the service bureau can ONLY accept Illustrator files created on a Macintosh on a Mac formatted disc?

I find it very dishearting that my most productive tool of choice is the red headed step child of vector programs. It's funny how back in the 80's Ridley Scott made that commercial of the girl throwing the hammer at Big Brother on the screen during the SuperBowl only for us to come to this and Apple and Adobe are now Big Brother(this analogy is intended to pertain only to design issues, not MicroSoft, but that's another topic).

My fellow Xara users, our eyes are open to the possibilites. Xara needs to include multipage PDF export, which will render this whole "how do I get it into illustrator" nightmare moot. I don't know what that entails but it will free me from this hellish nightmare that I hate every time it comes up. Fortunately, it's only a couple times a year. Either that or release a patch that does a more current export version of illustrator, or create a plugin for illustrator that reads native Xara files. Personally, I bet the latter would be easier, but then again, I've never written a plugin. I don't think Xara can continue to sit comfortable with it's position of strictly being a web graphic producing program. At some point all of us designers need to do print jobs. I can't convince the service bureaus I use to switch to a PC and buy Xara.

Until then, I will continue to be a proponent of Xara. But personally, I would like to know what Xara intends to do with future versions. I would like to know if I am being forced to become an expert at Illustrator, a program that I hate to use, or will Xara come to my rescue someday with PDF's and animated Flash.

End Rant

You know what is the best? Turning a client on to Xara. I've done that with one of my clients and they love Xara, but they're all about creating the best software, not following along with the unenlightened masses. BTW, this client that accepts my Xara files is also a software manufacturer that produces some fantastic software packages that get stuff done with quality and speed at a fair price. Check them out Impulse, Inc.

I now deliver them native Xara files. Now if only I can do that with all my clients.....

Sheffield Abella
    sheff@sheff.com
    www.sheff.com
    Sheff
    My Site

Good luck Sheffield Abella. I tried to create an .ai file and import it into Photoshop with no luck. I got the same parser errors. If your image has to be in Illustrator it may have to be created there in the first place.

Sheff,

I have Acrobat 4 and love it - immensely useful! I'll spring for the upgrade to 5 pretty soon.

Creating a PS file means to pick any suitable printer driver for high-res output (Linotronic and other image-setters) and, when printing, just directing it to FILE instead of to LPT. That creates an usually huge PS file, which can then be downloaded to an image setter for separations.

There's more to it, but that's the essence.

K
    K
    www.klausnordby.com/xara (big how-to article)
    www.xaraxone.com/FeaturedArt/kn/ (I was the first-ever featured artist in the Xone)
    www.graphics.com (occasional columnist, "The I of The Perceiver")

I tried exporting the jsam logo xar file as a xara EPS and it went right into Photoshop 5 perfectly. Unless I am missing something I think this should work for you OK.

Stan
    Last edited by Egg Bramhill; 12 May 2008 at 03:25 PM. Reason: Attachment Removed ~ Posters request ~ Egg