Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hi ,
    Assuming I don't believe , mac monitors work at 72ppi screen resolution , while PC (windows) monitors work at 96ppi , you can verify yourself this is a false concept , simply changing the screen resolution of your monitor throught the screen menù in windows and you'll discover your apparent resolution can assume a lot of values depending on your monitor dimension and how many pixels are shown whithin your screen size
    area , but it never stops at 96ppi or at 72ppi unless you force it (same for mac!) .

So for this reason I ask why if you make a drawing in xarax and you wish to export that drawing into flash (in swf format)you have to scale it up (about 1/3) , to match the right pixels dimensions?

I tested vector export also in Adobe Illustrator/macromedia flash , and this problem doesn't exists and you can export any file at any resolution (in AI you can choice printing resolution for swf files) without having to

adjust further more your file's pixels size .

Pixels should be pixels everywhere!

If I make a 300X150 px rectangle into xaraX , it should mantain this pixels values in every programs , because pixel are not resolution-dependent like for example "inches" or "centimeters" and an image sized in pixels

should remain that size (in pixels) at any printing resolution used by the program , at least the inches dimensions on paper will print different at different printing resolutions , but pixel size should be manteined!

Instead that 300x150 pixel rectangle made in xaraX , once in macromedia flash or even in an HTML page , becomes 225X112.5 pixels Why????
    The same 300x150 pixels rectangle , builted into AI , remains 300X150Px even into flash , and while exporting it , you (in AI) can choice a printing resolution , but a 300x150 pixel size rectangle at 72ppi or 96ppi or

even at 300ppi should remains always a 300x150 rectangle's pixel size!

The main problem is :
    even adopting a different printing resolution in different vector programs like for example macromedia flash=72ppi , XaraX=96ppi , adobe illustrator=150ppi , you still don't have to scale any pixel sized drawing!

I know I can create a template in xaraX that automatically adjust the size of the exported file (page option>scaling)(thaks Egg Bramhill!!!) , but this doesn't solve the problem!

I tryed to use a different export file from xaraX to flash (.wmf) and the scaling is different than for swf .

A 300x150 pixels rectangle , exported from xaraX in wmf format, once into flash , become 212.7X99.7 pixels , an even different value than before.

Anybody can explain? , best cheers Luca
    (I contacted XaraX support , but i didn't receive any answer)

Hi ,
    Assuming I don't believe , mac monitors work at 72ppi screen resolution , while PC (windows) monitors work at 96ppi , you can verify yourself this is a false concept , simply changing the screen resolution of your monitor throught the screen menù in windows and you'll discover your apparent resolution can assume a lot of values depending on your monitor dimension and how many pixels are shown whithin your screen size
    area , but it never stops at 96ppi or at 72ppi unless you force it (same for mac!) .

So for this reason I ask why if you make a drawing in xarax and you wish to export that drawing into flash (in swf format)you have to scale it up (about 1/3) , to match the right pixels dimensions?

I tested vector export also in Adobe Illustrator/macromedia flash , and this problem doesn't exists and you can export any file at any resolution (in AI you can choice printing resolution for swf files) without having to

adjust further more your file's pixels size .

Pixels should be pixels everywhere!

If I make a 300X150 px rectangle into xaraX , it should mantain this pixels values in every programs , because pixel are not resolution-dependent like for example "inches" or "centimeters" and an image sized in pixels

should remain that size (in pixels) at any printing resolution used by the program , at least the inches dimensions on paper will print different at different printing resolutions , but pixel size should be manteined!

Instead that 300x150 pixel rectangle made in xaraX , once in macromedia flash or even in an HTML page , becomes 225X112.5 pixels Why????
    The same 300x150 pixels rectangle , builted into AI , remains 300X150Px even into flash , and while exporting it , you (in AI) can choice a printing resolution , but a 300x150 pixel size rectangle at 72ppi or 96ppi or

even at 300ppi should remains always a 300x150 rectangle's pixel size!

The main problem is :
    even adopting a different printing resolution in different vector programs like for example macromedia flash=72ppi , XaraX=96ppi , adobe illustrator=150ppi , you still don't have to scale any pixel sized drawing!

I know I can create a template in xaraX that automatically adjust the size of the exported file (page option>scaling)(thaks Egg Bramhill!!!) , but this doesn't solve the problem!

I tryed to use a different export file from xaraX to flash (.wmf) and the scaling is different than for swf .

A 300x150 pixels rectangle , exported from xaraX in wmf format, once into flash , become 212.7X99.7 pixels , an even different value than before.

Anybody can explain? , best cheers Luca
    (I contacted XaraX support , but i didn't receive any answer)

SOmeone was shared with us this Xara template for exporting Xara graphics to Flash.....
    download and use it.....

P.S> Save it under tempates folder on your Xara directory...and when you want to work something for Flash, open this template
    File>New>Xara-Flash template
    Last edited by minimiro; 10 February 2009 at 10:05 PM.
    [A]bort? [R]etry? or [S]elf distruct

minimiro.com

Egg Bramhill (hope right writing!) already provide a template for swf export!

So I can use that!

But using template doesn't help understand the reason of scaling , and this is what I would like!
    Thanks Minimiro for your interest!

Bye

You may wish to read the following article.
    web page
    Egg
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Looking further into this, it appears that XaraX exports vectors to SWF at 72dpi instead of the more normal 96 dpi. Test it by exporting an image 200 pixels x 125 pixels first at 72 dpi and again at 96 dpi. The 96 dpi image imports at the correct size in pixels, but not the 72 dpi image. This is one of those things that will have you chasing your tail for hours.
    Egg
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Egg Bramhill:
    Looking further into this, it appears that XaraX exports vectors to SWF at 72dpi instead of the more normal 96 dpi. Test it by exporting an image 200 pixels x 125 pixels first at 72 dpi and again at 96 dpi. The 96 dpi image imports at the correct size in pixels, but not the 72 dpi image. This is one of those things that will have you chasing your tail for hours.
    Egg<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Bye Egg ,
    I think resolution and pixels size are different !

A 200 X 125 pixel rectangle , should be always a 200 X 125 pixel rectangle at any resolution 72dpi or 96dpi makes no differeces pixel size are not resolution dependent like inches or centimeters , a 10x10 inches rectangle prints different at different resolution (details are proportional to resolution and printer capabilities) , but the same rectangle , in pixel size should mantain that pixel size at any resolution.

Experiment this:
    In a program like psp or photoshop , you make a new document , if you decide a size in pixel , you can change the resolution whithout affecting the pixel size .

If you decide a fisical size in inches , and you change the resolution , automatically the pixel size increase or decrease , depends on the resolution you estabilished before.

this is good!
    http://www.scantips.com/

Bye