Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Lynda.com request

Hello

I am still new to Xara and I am still a noob. The problem is Xara doesn´t has as much beginner tutorials like Illustrator, CorelDraw etc. I always learn the best with video tutorials from Lynda.com. So I thought 'Why shouldn't I request one?'. I did a request but of course one request is not enough. Now I would like to ask you to also request a Xara training http://www.lynda.com/aboutus/contact.aspx.

Sorry for my poor English, Thanks
    Riemer

Default Re: Lynda.com request

Hi Reimer,

As good as an idea that this is, there are tons of video tutorials out from the members of TalkGraphics.com. Also, if you go to help in the menu and click on movies you will see a ton of tutorials within Xara Xtreme itself. They are very useful and will certainly get you up and running in almost any facit that you want.

Gare has also written a book called XaraXtreme 5 The Official Guide which, though not a video tutorial, reads very much like one and is an invaluable source for Xtreme.

There are videos here:
    http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthread.php?t=28298
    http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthread.php?t=21893
    Tutorials and videos here:
    http://www.xarazone.com/

I guarantee these will keep you busy for as long as you have time to be busy.

Hope this helps.
    Ed......:-)

All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you.
    -Gandalf (from Lord of the Rings) - Xara s/w - Xara Designer Pro X11

Thanks Karateed

I already saw the video tutorials. I really like them but I mean more a real newbie video training like this http://www.lynda.com/home/DisplayCourse.aspx?lpk2=718. It starts from the beginning when the user know nothing about the product.

I also really like the book but the problem is I am from The Netherlands and I am not very old. The problem is with the book it uses a lot of words/terms I don't know. Everytime I need to use translate.google.com.

It doesn't need to be Lynda.com. VTC.com or even someone here that creates something like this. I think it would make Xara also a lot more popular.

Sorry for my poor English again and Thank you very much for you reply,
    Riemer

Hello Riemer, I see you are from the Netherland, If you speak german and you need any help with XXtreme, you can write me privat message or e-mail, i will answer you if i can, that is if you want. Regards BP
    Im in love with Xara X / BP
    Friends, I apologize for my broken English
    My TG Albums: http://www.talkgraphics.com/album.php?u=20432

Thanks Black Panter. To be honest my Deutsch is even worse. Well, not very good. I am still learning Deutsch at school.

Thanks for the kind words!

Reimer,

Why not try Help > Movies from the menu in Xara Xtreme or go to Introductory Movies on Xara's web site?

Or there is always Xhris' YouTube Video Tutorials, there's nearly 70 of them! You can also do a search for Egg Bramhill, he's got quite a few excellent video tutorials, also. And, as mentioned earlier, although they're not video tutorials I can't recommend Gary Priester's tutorials and resources on XaraXone enough.

Just a few (more) suggestion(s) to get you started,
    Harry

Hallo Riemer,

in aanvulling op de eerder gedane verwijzingen: vergeet ook de filmpjes op YouTube niet, voor beginner en gevorderde gebruiker. En mocht je er niet uitkomen dan is dit forum een prima bron voor adviezen en assistentie. Regelmatig zijn hier ook Nederlands-sprekende gebruikers te vinden die je met alle plezier op weg willen helpen. En enkele Xara-producten zijn ook verkrijgbaar in het Nederlands, al sluit ik niet uit dat daarbij veelvuldig Engelse termen gebruikt zullen worden.

Veel plezier met de software.

For English visitors: in addition to the previous referrals made in this thread, I refered Riemer in Dutch to the movies on YouTube, the localised (Dutch) versions Xara has and pointed out what a supportive and friendly forum this is
    Last edited by akubbeng; 17 January 2010 at 07:37 PM. Reason: Typo
    Regards, Albert G. Kubbenga

My son uses Illustrator at school and Corel Draw at home. He was able to use Draw because of his knowledge of Illustrator. Most graphics programs that are competing against each other will have the same basic features. There may be a few differences between them as far as features and work flow but they achieve the same end through the same tools. Mostly its a matter of finding where the equivalent lies.

Some software companies have tried to make the switch from a competitors product to theirs easier by either offering an adjustable UI or a map showing where the equivalents are.

Once you know your UI well you can take any competitors tutorials and translate into the program you are using. So you could actually do/learn the tutorials for Illustrator or Draw and then take that knowledge and transfer it into Xara. Don't think that because you want to use Xara that you must use Xara written tutorials to achieve it.

If there aren't any good beginner tutorials for Xara then pick up a basic beginners guide to Illustrator. Usually then contain a cd/dvd with the content for the tutorials and a demo version of the software good for 30 days or more. I have had some tutorial books that offer extended versions of the demo so you would have more time to complete the lessons then the standard 30 day limit. Once you get the basics down move on to Xara.