Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Page Issues/Page Background Issues

I am using XXP 5.1.0.9131 DL dated June of 09. (Any way I can upgrade to the latest version to eliminate a few bugs?). The CD version hasn't been delivered yet. (Seems a strange way to run a railroad with non-updateable outdated DL versions for long time paying customers).

1. I have a XAR file that refuses to add new pages to the document. No matter what I try, no new page is created. Duplicate page also fails. Any idea how to force a new page creation? Any way to merge all work into a new document and start fresh? (Can't share the file due to NDA).

2. When I have a 1280x720 custom page size, and have a 1280x720 bitmap that I want to use as a 'Page Background', the resulting page background shows about a single pixel around the edge of the document on two sides... it does not fill the canvas properly. It shows as being 100% scale, and located at 0,0. Any idea how to make the 'Page Background' work properly in this instance? If I start a new document and assign the same image as the page background, it positions/scales itself properly.

3. Is there a way to turn off the single pixel black border around a page? I found how to turn off the page shadow but not the border.

I feel some of these issues might be solved in an update but it appears I can't update.

Thanks!
    Mike Truly
    --------------------------------------------
    Truly Media
    www.trulymedia.com

Default Re: Page Issues/Page Background Issues

By the page size I take that this is for a web page? I think you should post your doc. as I can easily carry out the tasks that you have stated. I am trying to think what can be the problem but I cant think where you may have gone wrong. I have tried your version on an old laptop and it still duplicates new pages under Edit Menu.
    Design is thinking made visual.

Thanks for the ideas.

No, this is not for a web page. (Xara seems to assume a very limited use range of their product). This image resolution is the lowest resolution of HD Video. This is the size of an HD720 image.

Let me describe how Xara is being used in this context.

Video Editing applications usually have a sub-application called a Titler... for making titles, labels, text on the video screen, etc. Most of their use revolves around adding text. But they do usually have some basic vector graphic functionality. Unfortunately, it is usually very basic and when the vector drawing needs become more complex, you must turn to some other app to create the more complex vectors. Could be After Effects, CorelDraw, some other app, or in this case Xara.

For my current project, I have to create some progressive image builds where:

Image1 - shows background render of machine (rendered in a 3D modelling application).
    Image2 - shows background render plus added vector shape.
    Image3 - shows background, vector shape, plus added arrow.
    Image4 - shows background, vector shape, arrow, and circle, etc.

Now when the client wants to change something in the background render (or I want to change something)... it is better (more productive) to have an easy way for the background to be updated in Xara (hence my earlier post asking about having the bitmap in Xara merely be a pointer to a bitmap on disk... update the bitmap on disk - graphic updated in XXP... but XXP can't do this). So trying to use the tools within XXP to be able to update the bitmap in one place instead of 27... the set 'Page Background' function seems to at least offer a single place in XXP where this bitmap can be somewhat easily updated.

But in my current XAR file, as I mentioned, I get mis-aligned bitmap to page size (when their both exactly the same pixel size. If I start a totally fresh XAR file, I get perfect alignment. But my project file shows mis-alignment when I try to do the same thing. (Clearly my XAR file is somewhat wacked... but I can't share the file due to NDA).

On the 'Can't add a new page issue', it works in a new document... doesn't work in my current project document. Also, if I select a page in the layer menu, hit 'Duplicate' it does not duplicate the page but instead makes the page name editable to rename it... very weird.

Thanks again.
    Mike Truly
    Truly Media
    www.trulymedia.com

OK, I made some good progress by starting a new document and then merging in the layers from the original document. Now this new document seems to be duplicating the pages as desired and the page background is not misaligned.

Is there a way to turn off the black, single pixel border around the page? (I was able to turn off the page shadow).

Thanks!
    Mike Truly
    Truly Media
    www.trulymedia.com

No, this is not for a web page. (Xara seems to assume a very limited use range of their product).
    Mike, Mods are not Xara Staff.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Truly View Post
    Is there a way to turn off the black, single pixel border around the page? (I was able to turn off the page shadow).
    I don't understand why this appears to be an issue for you Mike?? The line doesn't export or print.

Not sure I understand what you mean about the Mods? I am merely making a comment that Xara seems to focus their product towards specific markets where vectors are used and not others (where vectors are also used). It seems a bit schizophrenic with the marketing spewing 'everything under the sun, fastest ever, etc.' (watch the default video on the tutorials page) and the responses here like, 'Mike... how could you ever think it would do that?' tone.

Regarding the page border line, again... it's merely a question about whether it can be turned off (I thought I remembered that it could - maybe thinking of another app - but couldn't find the setting). I would prefer not to see a border line (that essentially serves no purpose for me since I can clearly see a pixel distinction between the white of the canvas color and the gray of the pasteboard background). But if it's not possible to turn this off... fine. That's what the question was about and leave it at that.

Don't take offense because I ask about the functionality of the app. I try to search the helpfile, forum and settings dialog before I ask questions here but again, lighten up folks!

Just trying to learn more about the app and what's possible (and not).

Thanks!
    Mike Truly
    Truly Media
    www.trulymedia.com

Not sure I understand what you mean about the Mods?
    Mods are moderators on TalkGraphics. They are not Xara employees and are not related in any other way except for being highly experienced Xara users with the company.
    I am merely making a comment that Xara seems to focus their product towards specific markets where vectors are used and not others (where vectors are also used).
    To certain degree it is unavoidable. I have yet to see the vector based product that is evenly marketed for all vector using markets.
    It seems a bit schizophrenic with the marketing spewing 'everything under the sun, fastest ever, etc.' (watch the default video on the tutorials page) and the responses here like, 'Mike... how could you ever think it would do that?' tone.
    The video is made by Xara. The responses here are made by users based on their knowledge and experience. Although I don't see any contradiction. There's not a single claim in any Xara commercial that Xtreme contains all the functionality in the world.
    Regarding the page border line, again... it's merely a question about whether it can be turned off
    Unfortunately it is not possible.
    Just trying to learn more about the app and what's possible (and not).
    TalkGraphics is definitely a right place to do so.
    John.

Thanks for your thoughts John.

Again I was being a bit sarcastic there. I know Xara doesn't claim to do it all nor do I expect it to. But I use many apps and use them sometimes outside their intended markets... they work just fine for me (although I may be pushing their envelopes somewhat). But I don't like it when I'm asking legitimate questions about functionality and someone implies it's just Mike not liking the app... nonsense. I make my money by productivity and if someone doesn't like me persuing more productivity... tough.

I think Xara is a great app and there are many things I'd like to see improved but before I could ever ask for them to be improved (by adding them to a wishlist) I'd have to know that I wasn't missing something in how they were supposed to work in the first place... (that's why I ask).

For example, today it was confirmed that there is no automated batch exporting of pages to files. So since I've done that operation about 120 times today (and my mouse trigger finger is killing me), it would be nice to have a method of doing this with more batch automation.

In any event, I'll keep plugging away.

Thanks again.
    Mike Truly
    Truly Media
    www.trulymedia.com

(Clearly my XAR file is somewhat wacked... but I can't share the file due to NDA).
    Some weird stuff happening there for certain, I understand you can't supply the .xar publicly here, but I encourage you to at least supply it to Xara for investigation. If it's a bug, they really need to know about it. That way it helps all of us later.

As with any app, I would gladly supply whatever file needed for investigaton. But my work is a bit specialized (I create graphics and animations used in courtroom litigation) and I simply can't provide the graphics (without liability risks to myself). Usually, when I run into these kind of strange issues, I try to build a dummy file that exhibits the problem but sometimes it's not possible. We'll see on a case by case basis.

Thanks!
    Mike Truly
    Truly Media
    www.trulymedia.com