Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Dead-end job

Default Dead-end job

This, for me, was harder to accomplish than I thought it would be using Xtreme. The result I was looking for needed to be extruded, but the problem was, that once the bitmap filled text, which was given a perspective envelope (fig.1) once an extrusion was applied, the perspective was lost. So I thought, ”No problem, I’ll duplicate the unextruded text and drop it onto the face of the extrusion.” Unfortunately, I couldn’t get this method to fit exactly on the face of the extrusion (fig. 2). After a lot of fiddling with the shape editor and mold tools and clipviews, I managed to get a result approaching what was in my mind’s eye (fig.3).
    Anyone know if there is an easier way to do this?
    Saludos,
    Bob.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dead end.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	191.0 KB 
ID:	68564  
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

Default Re: Dead-end job

Nope. About the only thing I have noticed is it helps to set the perspective to 1 (I don't think you can set it to 0).

Thanks for your insight, Gary, I'll give it a try.
    Saludos,
    Bob.
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

Bob, what about using a blend???
    I'm attaching a xar file, pay attention I moved a little bit one of the sides of the baskwards shape to get a perspective effect, that is to say, front side fatter than opposite site.
    Best regards, espero haber entendido bien el problema, a veces el ingles is not so easy for spanish people.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by jvila; 21 December 2009 at 07:08 PM. Reason: uploading one more file
    Javier

Bob, I uploaded a new file.
    Best regards
    Javier

Hi Javier, the problem is that using blends or extrusions on text that has a bitmap fill, to which a perspective mold has been applied, is that the result of the blend or extrusion alters the bitmap fill. The attachment shows what happens.
    Saludos,
    Bob.

Name:	blending b4 and after.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	81.7 KB 
ID:	68679  

Bob have you tried making a bitmap copy of the bitmap after applying a perspective mould?

1. Import bitmap to use for a fill and apply a perspective mould and create a bitmap copy of the moulded bitmap.

2. Apply a perspective mould to the text character.

3. Convert to Editable shapes and ungroup (may need to do the ungroup 2 or 3 times).

4. Apply the bitmap copy as a fill.

5. Use Extrude Tool.

See attached.

Name:	extrude-bitmap-fill.png 
Views:	126 
Size:	25.6 KB 
ID:	68680  
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

I have not tried this, so my idea may not work at all, but in thinking about the blend idea, couldn't you make the back object (the side face) blend to another just like it that sits right behind the bricked version? this way the textured part isn't a part of the blend.

I know that's similar to what you said above about overlaying the textured one on an extrusion, but extrusions can be a pain to manupulate, especially when perspective is involved. Just getting two objects to line up on the same plane can sometimes be a hassle [].

I have tried the following attempt, that you will see in the XAR file:

- Using Pure 3D text, the fill is nice, but the prospective can not be too strong
    - Using Moulded text, with bitmap fill. IT WORKS... unless you apply a 3D effect .. then perhaps a XARA BUG looses the control of the bitmap, and the bitmap become distorted but even doing an UNDO the bitmaps and the object remains corrupted
    - So I created a Moulded text with bitmap fill, created a copy of it, applyed a 3D effect on it (that destroyed the bitmap) and I put over it the correct copy grouping both.

See the results on the XAR.

Cheers
    Attached Files Attached Files