Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Question Color Picker or Line Error?

Hi All,

I'm working a custom shape in XXP5 that has a linear fill with 4 colors. When I go to change one of those colors using the"color picker" Xara changes the line color NOT the fill color - but there is / was NO line on this particular shape to begin with. However, if I select one of the color points and select a color from color bar the color does change but it still adds a line around the shape.

Finally, when I select the "color Editor" on the bottom left it opens the "Line Color" editor - not the "Fill Editor".

I created a new object and tried changing the fill with the color picker without any issue. Is XXP5 having a problem with this particular shape or is this another XXP5 issue I have to figure out?

I've attached the file. This is really weird!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default Re: Color Picker or Line Error?

if you look at the status line you will see that your 'object' is defined by xtreme as a 'line', which probably explains the picker and color editor behaviour [xxp5 pro]

the question is why - sometimes it happens, how didyou create it? - was any part of it imported as vector from another app?
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

with a multi stage fill the start and end colour is classed as a fill where as the extra stages are treated as line colour in some drawing for a reason I can't guess at. It should not be the case but I have noticed this before. Just apply the colour as required to the selected point which will also apply an outline which can then remove in the normal way.
    Derek

Got it. The top left of the shape has two control points and is not joined.

With the shape selected, select the Shape Editor Tool (F4). Drag the top left control point away a short distance then right back to where it was. The cursor will change to display a + and the line will changed to a closed shape and the status bar will show a Shape and not a line.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	case-closed.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	13.4 KB 
ID:	68548  

Quote Originally Posted by masque View Post
    with a multi stage fill the start and end colour is classed as a fill where as the extra stages are treated as line colour in some drawing for a reason I can't guess at. It should not be the case but I have noticed this before. Just apply the colour as required to the selected point which will also apply an outline which can then remove in the normal way.
    Derek
    That's good to know! I was hoping it wasn't another internal error I was having to face.

Thanks for the info!

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Got it. The top left of the shape has two control points and is not joined.

With the shape selected, select the Shape Editor Tool (F4). Drag the top left control point away a short distance then right back to where it was. The cursor will change to display a + and the line will changed to a closed shape and the status bar will show a Shape and not a line.
    I'm not sure why the object is not closed. I created the object in Xara (not imported) and I closed the shape - it filled to the default black as Xara always does.

Very strange. As I've mentioned, I've been using Xara since it was originally packaged with Corel - a looooooong time. But over these last few weeks, I've seen stranger things...

nice catch Gary

I usually see these sorts of thing on occasion when I import vector from inkscape/illy/expression - or if I have gone overboard with the boolean
    Last edited by handrawn; 18 December 2009 at 03:10 PM. Reason: typo _ i am working in the dark in the literal sense you understand
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...