Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CMYK Black

Default Re: CMYK Black

XXPro5 can be used (being a bit careful) for serious CMYK and spot colors work, I could generate successful pdf files for labels, (short) brochures and newsletters.
    I remember a series of labels for Champagne bottles which was composed only of six overprinting spot colors (black, browns, gold and UV lacquer), the printers required only files from Illustrator, I made them quickly in Xtreme, exported as pdf, text converted to curves and it worked without any problem.
    XXPro4 didn't respect overprinting with CMYK colors in pdf output, but the problem has been solved in XXpro5.
    At present only contone images with spot colors require some workarounds (otherwise they turn into composites).
    It would be useful that among other templates Xara provided Xtreme Pro with a category reserved for professional printing, e.g. invitation cards with spot colors, newsletters with CMYK text or frames, etc., otherwise many capabilities remain hidden.

I have always made my own blacks when the image is intended for print. 50% magenta and 100% black for Rich Black. 50% cyan and 100% black for cool black. It is always wise to preflight documents for RGB images and convert them to CMYK. This is especially important for clip-art and photographic images of unknown origin. Some RIPS will convert RGB to greyscale, or omit the image completely...

Paul,
    If you choose PDF x/1a as export type all elements are output automatically to CMYK, you should not have problems with any ripping method or printing company.
    If you import pictures in Xtreme I do advice to import them as RGB, since they work better in XX and will be converted to CMYK in the final export to PDFx/1a.

Luciano

As a PDF x the problems are usually dealt with. Occasionally I run out separations directly from the software. Not exclusively Xara, but indesign, quark and illustrator. As a rule of thumb, I always make sure that all images are cmyk. Many years ago I sent the front cover of a Reader's Digest book as separations via isdn. Fortunately, it was just for a machine proof and not the main run. The authors photograph was omitted by the imagesetters rip. A close call, so I only work with cmyk finals. PDF x has made life a bit safer, but speaking as someone who very nearly got his finger seriously burnt, I'm now triple check and then some....

Something worse happened to me, we designed an invitation card, printed in 10,000 copies, with text provided by the client... the date was wrong and nobody realized until the cards were sent!

OMG !

I guess that would be an understatement.

@luciano you should always have your client proof read the content. Always before going to press have them ok or sign a statement that it has been approved.