Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default 25 gigabyte raw file

A Cape Town tour company has taken some photos of Cape Town, one of which is 25gig and is up on their site. It really is very clever, the panarama length was printed in the weekend paper.

Even with my dial-up it wasn't too long loading, can zoom in for some pretty good detail

http://virtualafrica.co.za/virtual-t...how-we-did-it/

Yvonne

Default Re: 25 gigabyte raw file

The 25 gigabyte file was the total their RAW file when taken, not the resulting flash file which is on their site.

What you see is only the flash loaded JPG tile of the section you are viewing at the time, so the downloads are minimal.

If you look closely, you will see many missmatched tiles (like you sometime see in Googlemaps)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	missmatched-tiles.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	73.0 KB 
ID:	68374

Excellent result though. Thanks for posting

Indeed, got your attention pretty quick though didn't I

I didn't go thru the whole site but the camera used was a Canon SX10 and in the paper it was referred to as a "high end point & shoot"

edit - your pic loaded after, they say the pic is made up of 1800 smaller images stiched together to create an 'almost' seamless photograph. He also says that you can try and spot the woman sunbathing topless on one of the buildings....

Yes, exceptional for a pns cam..

you can try and spot the woman sunbathing topless on one of the buildings....
    I'll save that endeavor to someone with more motivation