Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Very newbie questions - but I can't find answers.

Hey guys,

Okay, I realize this may make me seem retarded, but I can't figure out how to add to a line after I've drawn it (without connecting shapes). I draw a line, but when I try to add to the line, it simply draws a new line. I don't want that. What am I doing wrong?

Also, the line erase function (holding shift), does not work for me. I hold shift to try to erase a line I've drawn, and nothing happens. What's the deal?

I have a near mastery of Illustrator, but I can't seem to work the basic functions of Xara. Feel free give me a smack.

Btw, I'm using a Wacom tablet, if that makes a difference.

Default Re: Very newbie questions - but I can't find answers.

if you are using the freehand tool - position the cursor over the node at the end of the line [which must of course be selected] that you wish to join to - you should see a cross appear, click and draw

the shift key erase only works if you have not stopped drawing the line in question [ie not let go of the left mouse button or tablet equivalent] - once you have, it is no longer an option

congratulations on having ' near mastery of illustrator' and welcome to TG
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Near mastery is probably an overstatement, but I have a functioning knowledge of Illustrator.

Anyways, thanks for the quick response. However...

I tried what you said, positioning my cursor over the end node over the selected line segment, and there is no crosshairs. I zoomed to 8000% and I still couldn't see it. I clicked and drew anyway, with the line selected, and it started a new line.

The eraser function works, at least, so thanks for helping me with that.

It's probably me. There's something I'm missing. But it's really frustrating to be stuck on such a basic function.

the 'freehand', 'shape editor', and 'pen' [the one that works 'like illustrator'] tools all work slightly differently - there are some good movies in the help section of xtreme to watch - bit of practice and you will get the hang of it I'm sure..

the only drawing tool I would claim near mastery of is the traditional graphite/carbon pencil - and that took a while, even though I started young...
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by Palex View Post

I tried what you said, positioning my cursor over the end node over the selected line segment, and there is no crosshairs.
    You are actually looking for the plus sign + rather than cross-hairs.
    In this case + means to 'add to the line'.
    Make sure the line is first selected.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	continue-line-plus-symbol.png 
Views:	96 
Size:	3.3 KB 
ID:	68329

Zooming won't help as the symbol is part of the cursor which remains the same size no matter the zoom level of the drawing.

Okay, I sort of got it. I find that I have to put my cursor over a line node for like 2-3 seconds to reconnect with it -- to get the plus sign. Sometimes it doesn't reconnect, and will just start a new line.

Is there any way to make it work like it does in illustrator -- where, when you have a line selected, you can constantly reshape and refine your line?

maybe don't use the freehand tool - use the shape editor tool - or the pen tool - they will both draw lines with the tablet

however there is also a way of reducing the 'wait' time - known as auto join delay - its a registry fix, but there is the XaReg utility UI you can use to do this
    without changing the registry by yourself - you'll find it here:

http://www.xaraxone.com/html/shareware.html

on the blobs tab as shown
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ssxar.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	46.4 KB 
ID:	68332  
    Nothing lasts forever...

PS - I should make clear don't tick the auto deselect I have that selected, but its not what you need here
    Nothing lasts forever...

Thank you for your help, as well as your patience. The reg editor does help a great deal. While I still prefer how Illustrator draws lines, there are features in Xara that make me want to use it over Illustrator. I'm sure I'll get used to the differences.

always glad to help

Bill [soquili] and steve [sledger] deserve the credit for the XaReg utility, and Gary [gwpriester] for the xaraxone site which is packed with tutorials and help for xtreme users at all levels
    Nothing lasts forever...