Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dropbox

Default Dropbox

I am looking for a place (and learn how to) to backup my computer. I'm wondering what people think of Dropbox. I'm afraid I might have my social security number on my computer somewhere (not sure...I tried to never type it into the computer but you know how it goes). If I backed up my computer, would my personal information go in too or just window's files?

And how would I go about backing up my computer? I should know by now but I don't because I never have before.
    Things you should never say when pulled over by the police:
    Could you hold my beer while I dig out my license?

Default Re: Dropbox

Nancy do you have a large capacity external hard drive?

I personally prefer to backup my internal hard drive to a larger capacity external drive.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

ditto.....

I do have 2 large capacity externals. One is a My book and is almost full. I have many of my programs installed to it and it runs all the time.

The other (Verbatum) is newer and larger than the MyBook but is more like a large flash drive. I've copied my most important data onto it for safe keeping and it is not plugged in. Data transfer to this newer drive is extremely slow...very slow.

It has lots of room left. How much room does a backup take? And where do I go to tell my computer to make a backup?
    Things you should never say when pulled over by the police:
    Could you hold my beer while I dig out my license?

Backup is a term applied to many things.
    You can use file syncronizing backup tools which create copies automatically based on rules or a complete system image which can be used to restore your entire OS, programs and files in case of a more irksome disaster.

Here's how to use Windows XP backup
    Vista Backup & restore and Windows 7

How much room any of this requires depends on the size of the data being backed up or the size of the entire partition you are creating a backup image of.
    Rather like that how-long-is-a-piece-of-string question

I remember a couple years ago there was a utility that let you and a family member say in a different house, use each other's PCs as backup locations. It would constantly be synching a protected copy of part or all of your drive storage. I wish I could remmeber what that was, as it would be the perfect solution if encrypted.

I'd say an external hardrive is the best thing, and then there is a really neat and simple backup/synchronization free tool from Microsoft called SyncToy.

You can also use harddrives that can be connected to you home network so you don't need to have it "plugged" to you computer all the time.

I use Dropbox and it really useful for sharing files between your home and work, or with your clients, but the diskspace is only 2 GB for the free version, not very useful for backup.
    Paul the Gnurfmeister!
    Home: http://www.gnurf.net/v3/ | My stuff for sale: http://www.zazzle.com/gnurf* | Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/pasoderholm

as a very rough rule of thumb to the length of a piece of string, an acronis image backup of my XP [system only] is currently 3.7GB
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Thumbs up Re: Dropbox

Nancy,
    I'm always use norton ghost to do that or convert your machine to a virtual one using vmware converter and you will be able to start your machine in minutes in any other hardware that has installed vmware.
    Anyway, in your case I'll use Ghost.
    You can do an image of your disk and use it to restore it on other disc or using ghost explore you can open that image and see/extract files from it.
    If you need more details don't hesitate to contact me.
    Best regards
    Javier

There are so many backup and partition image tools around (even free), I think it all comes down to the one that you understand best and works well for you.
    Whatever you choose will be better than doing nothing