Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Dear Xara... Re UI poll

I just got an e-mail with a poll.. about the interface. So here's something from me:

Dear Xara,

Please don't plan to release "brand new Xara Xtreme 6" which would be XX 5 with.. a changed interface?

Please, please, pleeeease... please DO read people's problems, suggestions and keep them in mind? Please make the new XX more professional and usable.

If you plan on turning XX into "everything for fools to create web sites", please hold back with such ideas. Xara is a vector graphics tool, not a WYSIWYG web designer tool - it never was, never will be. All (semi)pro designers use a lot more than simplistic WYSIWYG tools.
    Come back to Xara Web Designer series, don't combine it with XX...

Please don't ruin my favourite GRAPHICS tool.

Thank you. In advance.

PS
    Implementing some nice slicing system would be nice, though!

Default Re: Dear Xara...

I received an email about the interface for Web Designer, Xtreme Pro, and Xtreme.

The suggested changes to monochrome buttons is a huge retrograde to the old days of Windows 1 and the original monochromatic Mac interface.

They seem very counter productive in my eyes.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

I just did that poll as well with a sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach. Those dark interfaces may look 'cool', but they are not nice to work with, I hate Photoshop Bridge with it's black interface - it's really hard to read - nothing wrong with my spectacles

So long as any UI theme colour changes are user selectable via the program options then I think the alternatives could be a viable means of attracting new users.

Forcing a UI change is risky.

I too hope there are more substantial improvements, but I have to say I like the existing color icons on the new dark background. It seemed easier to locate and identify the buttons for me. There were also other subtle improvements in all 4 designs that looked good.

Maybe skins???

slodger I agree with you... it's like in Paint Shop Pro X2.. option, not an obligation.

Monochrome sucks all the way.

And more changes, more functions, of course!

Don't care what it looks like as long as I can read it. Wholeheartedly agree with the second part of this request Xara Pro is a vector application and it should stay that way. I bought WD for the occasional use and any improvements to web stuff should generated there and it would be another thing to buy to broaden your user area.
    Design is thinking made visual.

The present interface is fine, I would rather see more hotkeys.

I second the plea to keep Xtreme as a vector program and not to "dilute" its usefulness simply to broaden it's appeal. Perhaps the web and 3D programs could be more closely integrated, so that it works more like a "modular" program, so to speak. By that I mean, if it was very easy to switch work between all the programs, more like just clicking a button - like Photoshop to Imageready, then users could design their own package and focus on the things that they need.

I thought the new icons with the black background looked very good. I also suggested, as someone else has said, that the colour or darkness of the application be user controlable to some extent. As long as it works like it does now without slowing down its fine with me whatever happens.
    People are changing to Win 7 in their droves because of a new look taskbar so I would think that a new look for Xtreme would bring new users as well or cause people to 'upgrade'; which is the main point I would assume.
    All said and done concentrating on maintaining functionality and speed whilst delivering new and/or improved tools without the need to rush out a buy a new PC is what really counts. The last thing I want is to have to buy another box full of fans before I can do what I already can with the existing one.
    Derek
    PS the fact that the menus are in German on the examples leads me to believe that its the new(ish) bosses who are driving the update priorities this time.
    Last edited by masque; 04 December 2009 at 02:30 PM.

Yes, I though the monochrome look was awful. Boring and depressing.

And while I've found the dark background occasionally useful in Paint Shop Pro X2, I'm much more likely to work with PSP X, which has a light gray background. The color icons on the dark background in the survey were very hard to read.

Please, please, please don't muck with the interface.