Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default book and magazine export pdf multi page

Hi,

I have not tried this yet but had a friend who did a 50+ page spreads with xara pro and had problems exporting as pdf for press. Problems were out of memory and crashes while exporting to pdf. Has this been an issue lately?

Can a book or a magazine be done and files pdf/x be send to printers without any export issues?

Default Re: book and magazine export pdf multi page

Maybe the question is: Is Xara Xtreme a Desktop Publisher app?

I know it is not but with all the new features added to text etc.. it is saying that its capable of desktop publishing as well.

True they do mention the DTP acronym, and I do routinely use XXP for flyers and brochures. However, for 50+ page magazines or book publishing I would consider this a big ask for Xtreme who's core is a fast vector graphics application.
    OOM errors are being reported more often recently for one reason or another, I do think that the continued development of digital cameras producing higher resolution images can be factored into this a lot. Preparation of resources prior to the creation of your Xara pages is important.

Thanks love your new avatar.

Why is the rephrased question more valid? Isn't the OP asking about bugs, and stability at large file sizes? Since many of the xara intro videos talk specifically about how much faster and smarter Xara is at handling large photo sizes and file sizes, I infer that stability at large file size and page counts is an already-touted feature. Bugs and performance difficulty here would be a direct contradiction of X Ltd.'s reasons why people should buy Xtreme, and not a competitor.

Why is the rephrased question more valid?
    More to the point I think.

Isn't the OP asking about bugs, and stability at large file sizes?
    You'll find plenty of discussions here at TG about Xtreme and it's suitability as a DTP for large publications along with more recent discussions about huge websites with 100+ pages giving problems with OOM errors (Bhavesh is one of the Xara people).
    As said, preparation is the key not just for the resources you are importing, but workflow too. If you know a web or print publication is going to involve many many pages it will work out better to plan to split the work into consecutive files for export.

Bugs and performance difficulty here would be a direct contradiction of X Ltd.'s reasons why people should buy Xtreme, and not a competitor.
    I see no contradiction by Xara here and having worked with other software my experience of crashes and 'Not Responding' is something Xara has no monopoly on.
    Of course, Xara software is not without bugs, but it would be unfair and inaccurate to consider that the Xara developers are not actively working to discover and fix known bugs (which is were the Dear Xara.. forum helps a lot, so please report and demonstrate repeatable bugs in that forum - it really dioes help
    For the record, my personal feeling as that there are no competing software

behzad

I do such PDFs. But if I have 50 spreads, then I have 50 .xar files -- each spread in the separate file. And I often just copy a whole spread from Xtreme 4/5 to old Xtreme 3.2 and make PDF from there, page by page...

As for the DTP or not DTP, have to say that latest PDF export filters (Xtreme 4 and 5) work really bad. Doesn't matter have you 50 pages or a single one... Very unstable.
    Lead designer,
    MichelMour LLC

Great to hear from someone who actually uses that method, thanks Alex.
    Of course the other obvious major advantage to creating separate files instead of one huge file containing all pages is if anything goes pear shaped and a file becomes corrupt you don't risk having all your eggs in one basket

Alex, with your comment about PDF export being worse in recent versions, have you reported your findings to Xara?

I did an 8 page brochure a while ago and had problems exporting as PDF/X. For some reason I had to make ´"empty" frames with the same size as the pages and then clipview each page. That did the trick that time.
    Paul the Gnurfmeister!
    Home: http://www.gnurf.net/v3/ | My stuff for sale: http://www.zazzle.com/gnurf* | Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/pasoderholm