Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Bevel on face

Default Bevel on face

Hey folks,

I've got a little 3D logo (using a .xar file for the shapes) with a simple curved bevel on the extrusion. Is it possible to make the face slighly curved (a bit like the "blob" design) ?

Cheers...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    YourMum

Default Re: Bevel on face

Could you attach the x3d file?
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Sure. x3d file attached!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    YourMum

Hi YourMum, I've attached a x3d file that's more blobby/rounded. The issue is that applying a larger bevel fills in the gaps between the shapes. What you need to do is use the contour tool in XX to make the shapes smaller, import these into X3D and apply a fatter bevel.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Thanks, but that hasn't done what I wanted

I was hoping that the flat faces could be given a slight "bulge" so that they look a bit like the sides, but retaining a clear join where the face meets the side. On the version you uploaded, the curved bevel on the sides has changed quite significantly...

A colleague has shown me what can be done in Photoshop to achieve the results I wanted...
    YourMum

... basically, I wanted it so that the face wasn't flat and that the light didn't reflect across the whole face, but would have a highlight point on the curved (convex) surface...
    YourMum

I exported your X3D file as a transparent .png file which I then opened in Paintshop Pro and gave it the Spherize Effect. This I imported into Xtreme and added the highlights.
    I used PSP in preference to Xtreme's Bump filter to achieve a smoother result.
    Edit: If you want the result as a X3D file, add the highlights to the .xar file first, it may look realistic enough to avoid using a raster effect with PSP or similar.
    Saludos,
    Bob.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	logo.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	32.2 KB 
ID:	68081  
    Last edited by iamtheblues; 03 December 2009 at 04:56 PM. Reason: addendum
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

I was hoping that the flat faces could be given a slight "bulge" so that they look a bit like the sides, but retaining a clear join where the face meets the side. On the version you uploaded, the curved bevel on the sides has changed quite significantly...
    YourMum, that's why I said:

What you need to do is use the contour tool in XX to make the shapes smaller, import these into X3D and apply a fatter bevel.
    Egg

Beautiful job Bob,
    Ed......:-)

All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you.
    -Gandalf (from Lord of the Rings) - Xara s/w - Xara Designer Pro X11