Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default question about exporting to pdf

Hi, everyone,
    I have to send a logo to be printed and I have some doubts, my knowledge in printing is nothing and may be my question could be more than obvious.
    I export my logo form xara to pdf/X and colours changed in the same way they change when I set xara to printer colors what it is mostly understandable to me.
    The problem is that I want to get the real green color and not the one I get in PDF.
    Fighting with this I tried exporting the logo using pdf995 and PDF looks exactly like it looks when screen colors are used then I'm not sure if the printed logo will appear like xara pdf or 995 pdf?.
    I'm attaching both pdf and the original xar file.
    I really appreciate your help.
    Best regards
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Javier

Default Re: question about exporting to pdf

jvila

PDF from Xara seems to be the one you should get after printing. It has CMYK color space. The PDF produced with pdf995 has RGB color space and will not be printed as you see it on your screen.
    Lead designer,
    MichelMour LLC

Alex,
    Thank you very much for your help, it brought light to my knowledge.
    Best regards
    Javier

Don't have PDF995 in my machine only Arcro 8 professional and I can tell you I get the same colours that you got in your "xaralogo,pdf" as you are going from RGB to CMYK which can be expected, Don't kmow how using 995 PDF you got the result that you got. Took into AI using place from file menu and this is what I got.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Design is thinking made visual.

Albacore,
    Your result confirms all the predictions, I've got confused with pdf995 results and that is the reason I ask here to you who are professional not I am.
    Best regards and thank you very much.
    Javier

I'm here again cause I have a doubt according colors, how can I do if I want that printed color is the lighter green that appears in the pdf file instead of darker one I get when I set printer colors?.
    I suppose there is a way because I saw many printer works that have that colors.
    Thank you very much
    Javier

I would do this for you if you can wait till Friday as I will not be into to the printers till then so that I can get a wet copy to see if my colour is right. If you have access to a 4 colour laser printer you can do this yourself. By printing of a colour chart of varying greens around your colour so you will be able to get a match. I always have a colour chart for all the general colours that I use with there values so that I know what they will look like when they are printed

Can I also remind you when you are going to get something printed that you turn on "Simulate Print Colours" from the window menu and this will give you an approx. of what you should get. You may want to back off your colour to something like #3eff00, certainly play around with it and then export it. If you can wait till Friday come back and say so.
    Design is thinking made visual.

Hello Albacore,
    Thank you very much for your answer.
    Appart of print my logo I want to understand how this works cause you know you have to send a logo outside your country and want to be sure it will be printed as you want.
    I don't really understand how I can get that color using the simulate printer colours xara setting, when I set that my color palette turns to darker and pale colours.
    I'd like to know how do you do when you face this matter cause color palette is very pale but when you see printer works you see more than those colours.
    I'm not sure if I am understandable?.
    Best regards and thank you very much.
    Javier

As I understand it, the solution is to get a printed Pantone swatchbook and select the green you want from the swatchbook. Then, assign that Pantone color — regardless of what it looks like on your screen — and create your pdf.

If it's Pantone, any commercial printer should print it the same way.

Amoore,
    Thank you very much, many times is defficult to me to understand long text in english.
    According to pantone I'll try to get a swatchbook, on the other hand I look for pantone colours in xara after setting "simulate printer colours" but no one is similar to original green.
    If I have to do this in the way that you teachme I dn't understand the utility of simulate printer colours, as far as I understand that setting helps us to know how drawings will be printed but now I don't think so.
    I'll try your suggestions to see what happend.
    Best regards and thank you very much Amoore and Albacore.
    Javier