Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Question Re: Thumbnail preview in Windows 7 Explorer

Greetings,
    I am experiencing a problem similar to the one described by Orna.
    Using PSP X2 with Win7 32 bit.
    Strange: all my thumbnails from images on my HD from the past, are present and visible.
    ALL thumbnails from recently added .jpg images ( from digital camera, i.e.), do not show up - all i get are grey thumbnails with a small 'X' on them.

>> if I open the image and do ANYTHING to it, like small crop, or rotation, and then close it - voila ! the thumbnail is visible !

any ideas for a solution ?

thanks in advance,

Ethan
    IP

Default Re: Thumbnail preview in Windows 7 Explorer

Quote Originally Posted by ERP View Post
    Greetings,
    I am experiencing a problem similar to the one described by Orna.
    Using PSP X2 with Win7 32 bit.
    Strange: all my thumbnails from images on my HD from the past, are present and visible.
    ALL thumbnails from recently added .jpg images ( from digital camera, i.e.), do not show up - all i get are grey thumbnails with a small 'X' on them.

>> if I open the image and do ANYTHING to it, like small crop, or rotation, and then close it - voila ! the thumbnail is visible !

any ideas for a solution ?

thanks in advance,

Ethan
    You should no be having a problem with Jpeg as Windows shoes those without any other help being needed So Perhaps you use of the term Jpeg Is incorrect. Are you by chance saving as Lossless jpeg which should by rights be .Jp2 Do you have Hide file extensions turned on as this will hide the extension of the file that you think is Jpeg.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by Trev View Post
    As I don't have a problem but then I'm using 32bit. I can only assume its a 64 bit problem. Now the good news Bot Productions Make a PSP thumbnail handler and a 64 bit Version http://www.botproductions.com/pspthumb/index.html
    I installed the PSP Thumbnail handler soon after I converted my system to Windows 7 64-bit late last year. No problem with PSPX2 thumbnails then.

After losing the thumbnails with my X3 installation, I tried several experiments, knowing I had the handler on my system, but nothing worked. I even saved a PSPImage file in versions 8 through 12, hoping at least one of the earlier versions would have a thumbnail. But, no thumbnail.

I then uninstalled the thumbnail handler and reinstalled it. Finally, I have PSPImage thumbnails.

But that doesn't get Corel off the hook, in my opinion. They should produce a file format that more closely follows Windows conventions and stop trying to be like Adobe!

Bob

Xara Designer Pro X10; PaintShop Pro X7; Perfect Photo Suite 8; DxO Optics Pro 9.5; Olympus OM-5 E-M5; Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit; 3.40 gigahertz Intel Core i7-3770; 16 GB RAM; AMD Radeon HD 7770.
    IP

Window's only shows thumbs for a few types. Not even WMV and thats MS 's own format.
    Mind Corel should have made its own handler work in 64 bit installations correctly. Note My 32 bit had no problem.
    By the way Arcsoft do a Thumb nail Extension for just about all camera raw formats and its free
    IP

Slightly OT.
    Trev, Windows 7 (I use 64bit) certainly does show .wmv thumbs as does Windows Vista.
    Have you have the most recent WMP installed?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Windows7-wmv-thumbs.png 
Views:	307 
Size:	109.3 KB 
ID:	69788  
    IP

Yes But :¬)
    Thats not windows explorer but Media player
    IP

Sorry Trev, in this instance you are mistaken - it's Windows Explorer.

Here's another Explorer view.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	explorer-wmv-thumbs.png 
Views:	347 
Size:	141.8 KB 
ID:	69789

Note that in Windows 7 - what was called My Videos in previous Windows OSes is now called Videos and is in the 'libraries' group of special folders.
    IP

By the way Arcsoft do a Thumb nail Extension for just about all camera raw formats and its free
    Trev, thanks for the tip on the Arcsoft handler. I tried it and found it does not work with the latest iteration of the Olympus camera RAW format, even though the web site says it's supported.

I also found that on the main page for the extension, Arcsoft says it's free. But when you get to the download page, they indicate you're downloading an evaluation copy.

Bob

Xara Designer Pro X10; PaintShop Pro X7; Perfect Photo Suite 8; DxO Optics Pro 9.5; Olympus OM-5 E-M5; Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit; 3.40 gigahertz Intel Core i7-3770; 16 GB RAM; AMD Radeon HD 7770.
    IP

As I don't have a problem but then I'm using 32bit. I can only assume its a 64 bit problem. Now the good news Bot Productions Make a PSP thumbnail handler and a 64 bit Version http://www.botproductions.com/pspthumb/index.html
    I joined the form just to say thak you.

I've had PSP for years and to be confronted on Windows 7 with thousands of icons where there should have been thunmbnails was a real shock. Many thanks for the simple solution.

Cheers
    IP

I'm having the same issue with the new Designer6 software trial.I've been using Xtreme Pro 5 without issues with Thumb nail previews.I have tried the quick fix they have posted on their site but I get a message saying that the thumb nail file isnt in a valid win32 format?I hope they get back to me soon or they wont have a sale!!

If I find out something I will write you

Melissa
    IP