Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Thumbnail preview in Windows 7 Explorer

Hi there

I just got a new computer with Windows 7. I installed Paint Shop Pro 12 and unfortunately I did not have thumbnail previews of my pictures in Windows Explorer - every file would just show the logo of PSP12.

Then I installed Thumbnail Handler and was able to see most of the pictures.

After opening the remaining still not thumbnail visible pics in PSP, changing the name (just added an letter and re saved) I could see the new named pics. Since there are quite many invisible pics in my thumbnail preview I thought may be the update of PSP12 might help. Unfortunately this did not work - it is still the same like before. The thumbnails just show a logo of PSP12 (big and small).

Would anybody know how to make all thumbnails visible in Explorer?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Many thanks
    Orna
    IP

Default Re: Thumbnail preview in Windows 7 Explorer

What are the extensions of the files you can't see? Are they standard graphics file types: .jpg, .gif, .png, etc?

I had a friend call me in a panic because all of his photos had disappeared. Turns out he'd changed the file names from something like "IMG_001.jpg" to "IMG_001.jpg edited by me on 11/11". It was a nice idea, but it completely messed up Windoze's file association system. When I had him rename the file in question to "IMG_001 edited by me on 11/11.jpg" everything worked out fine.

Just something to consider.

RtR
    PSP X2 Ult
    IP

I am not sure it can help you but try this:
    Right click on the file with logo of PSP>click on "Open with">click on "Choose default program">mark "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file">click on "Windows Photo Viewer">click OK
    IP

This will probably work for making the thumbnail viewer open the files, but if PSP is the program that's supposed to open them, that feature will be lost.

I prefer to open image files with IrfanView, since it's real quick and it's free. A quick Google search will take ya right to it. But I edit the "Edit With" option to send the editing function to PSP. I don't use the thumbnail preview myself because I have some directories with thousands of photos in them. Takes WAY too long to generate the list.

RtR
    PsP X2 Ult
    IP

Thanks for your comments.

I have Irfan View and I use it a lot for my scrapping kits. As for the .psp, .tub etc. it shows just the background if the images are layered and have a BG.

I found out that even with Thumbnail Handler installed, images made with versions of PSP previous to 7 do not show. They should be re-saved (enven under the same name would be OK). I have tried it out and it works!!!!

The problem is that I have lots and lots of them and I am chasing for a script to do this job. Anybody has a hint where I could find one?

Thanks, Orna
    IP

I am not having a problem but I'm Using Win 7 32bit user using 64 bit say they can not get thumbnail to display. One user said the same as you re saving in psp made them visible then 1 after another became visible too. Just to clarify are you using pspthumbnailshell extension or the bot productions thumbnail handler. There was a problem with the Jasc one not registering correctly and there is a fix for that But as you see some yours must be registered
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by Orna View Post
    Thanks for your comments.

I have Irfan View and I use it a lot for my scrapping kits. As for the .psp, .tub etc. it shows just the background if the images are layered and have a BG.

I found out that even with Thumbnail Handler installed, images made with versions of PSP previous to 7 do not show. They should be re-saved (enven under the same name would be OK). I have tried it out and it works!!!!

The problem is that I have lots and lots of them and I am chasing for a script to do this job. Anybody has a hint where I could find one?

Thanks, Orna
    Would not just doing a batch process on each folder do It can even add a pre/post fix to the file name
    IP

I have a somewhat similar issue using pspxii in windows 7 (64bit). I HAD been using vista and was always able to view psp thumbnails just using internet explorer. However, since doing a clean install of windows 7, viewing my psp thumbnails is a mess. I still want to view photos in an internet explorer window.(I have all the right folder options checked for images to appear on each thumbnail along with the icon.)

Problem...opening images for the first time, there were NO psp images-only psp icon. I opened some of these images in PSP xii, resaved them (without making any changes) and closed the file. Low and behold, these photos now appeared in their thumbnail view! Other, although not all, psp thumbs also appeared! Since then there is no predictability in whether the thumbnails will appear or not. Sometimes a thumbnail that WAS there, is NOT the next time I open that file in IE. The latest: Any psp thumbnail that I am viewing switches to ICON ONLY when I enlarge the image using the slider. Sliding up and down to resize the image turns the thumbnail on and off.

I will be eternally grateful to anyone who can give me a clue as to what is going on. Could it be that I am missing a setting using IE 8? Anyway, I have a life I need to get back to. My family misses me.
    IP

As I don't have a problem but then I'm using 32bit. I can only assume its a 64 bit problem. Now the good news Bot Productions Make a PSP thumbnail handler and a 64 bit Version http://www.botproductions.com/pspthumb/index.html
    IP

trev...you are a miracle worker. I am grateful...it worked! Those psp thumbnails are opening up all over the place. I'm passing you a virtual hug. Hopefully, that doesn't violate any tg rules. Thanks again and happy holidays! amycope
    IP