Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Xara Web Designer Publishing Problem

I have been using Xara Web Designer to create my first website. When publishing my website in the evening I keep getting timed out but I am able to publish very first thing in the morning. Has any one any suggestions as to why? I have tried using Xareg 1.3 to fix the problem as suggested in the FAQ but could not get it to run. Also it must be possible to change a single page within the website but when I do so all other web pages within the website seem to be exported as well or am I mistaken.
    Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Default Re: Xara Web Designer Publishing Problem

Hello Jake,

Welcome to Talkgraphics.

Xara Web Designer regenerates all pages of your website when you export. This requires you to upload all files related to your site each time you publish.

As for the timeout issue, that would depend on your internet connection speed and connection type as well as your web host and how much traffic they can handle. Additionally local internet traffic is most heavy in the evenings which can result is very slow data flow through the internet nodes servicing an area. Your connection and your web host may be good but node through put can be reduced and cause slow connection between two locations. Nodes are designed to move packets as quickly as possible but it is difficult to keep ahead of the ever increasing demand for bandwidth.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Welcome to TalkGraphics Jake

I am having the same problem. My designer has used Xara Web Designer 6 to create my site, but he has no experience of publishing. I have a site hosted by 1&1 which was built and published by me using their very basic WebsiteBuilder software. I now want to replace it with the site my designer has built, but when we try to upload it, at any time of day, it times out (we're on reasonably fast broadband).

I have contacted 1&1 and they suggested unassigning the WebsiteBuilder project, which I have done (although the site still appears?!?!). But I still can't uplaod the much-enhanced Xara version.

Any suggestions please? I am a novice website builder and have used a graphic designer who is smart with the graphics but knows nothing about publishing, so we're really stuck (and extremely frustrated).

Hi tula30 welcome to Talkgraphics.

I'm not familiar with 1&1, but have you verified with them they support ftp (file transfer protocol) to your domain?

Also find out if they require the use of a specific folder name you should use.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

I have several web sites housed on 1 and 1 .... I use fileZilla FTP program to upload web files many times a week..with no problem... you must know how to log into your file area and the folder where your files are to be housed. To access your server folder you must log on with a user name and password which was supplied by 1 and 1. Be sure to up load your xxx_htm_files folder and the xxx.htm file to your 1 and 1 server folder.

Also you must have your domain set to see your server folder so that when users enter your url it will find your files on 1 and 1.

Hope all of this has been of some help.... but in any case use an FTP program to upload and handle your files.... FileZilla is a free program.

Waltn

PS I noticed that you did not mention that you had exported your .web file by using the... File - Export Website... command to create the files you need to export... maybe you do this but it was not clear to me that you had created these files...
    Last edited by Waltn; 27 August 2011 at 01:27 AM.

Helo everyone,

I am trying to publish my first website with Xara, but I keep receiving message "the system cannot find the file specified". I would appreciate help here.

Hello Vee,

There's not much point piggybacking your question on a 2011 thread. Create a new thread an re ask your question.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host