Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Are there Start Up options for Xara X1 that can be assigned to a shortcut???

What I would like to do is create a few shortcuts where Xara X1 is triggered and A SPECIFIC TEMPLATE is opened.

The reason why I am asking is that I have potential client who I am recommending to use Xara X1 to annotate bitmap images (Tif files that need text callouts). They are, however, not savie Windows users and they have two or three formats they will need to follow. I want to create a some shorcuts on their desktop which will allow them to begin Xara with the proper template (the template would have the correct page size, unit of measure, and specific instructions and export options preconfigured in the Name Gallery).

Now I realize they can do a FILE > NEW, but I think it important to automate the process as much as it possible to eliminate possible hickups.

Charles do you think other start up triggers could be added to Xara X1+ such as assuring specific functions are executed such as opening SPECIFIC GALLERIES? or to import a specific image?

Regards, John

Are there Start Up options for Xara X1 that can be assigned to a shortcut???

What I would like to do is create a few shortcuts where Xara X1 is triggered and A SPECIFIC TEMPLATE is opened.

The reason why I am asking is that I have potential client who I am recommending to use Xara X1 to annotate bitmap images (Tif files that need text callouts). They are, however, not savie Windows users and they have two or three formats they will need to follow. I want to create a some shorcuts on their desktop which will allow them to begin Xara with the proper template (the template would have the correct page size, unit of measure, and specific instructions and export options preconfigured in the Name Gallery).

Now I realize they can do a FILE > NEW, but I think it important to automate the process as much as it possible to eliminate possible hickups.

Charles do you think other start up triggers could be added to Xara X1+ such as assuring specific functions are executed such as opening SPECIFIC GALLERIES? or to import a specific image?

Regards, John

Hi John;

I would suggest that you create and save a blank document or template with the necessary settings for each of your client's needed templates. Then within Windows Explorer create a shortcut for each of those documents/templates, and place the shortcuts on the desktop.

Glen
    There are two kinds of people in the world: those who think there are two kinds of people in the world, and those who don’t.

Hey Glen,

Do you know the proper syntax? Hoping the entire path does not have to be included.

You can assign a short cut/hot key to open the files from the windows desktop.

To specify shortcut keys for specific file.

Open My Computer.
    Locate the file, right click and create a shortcut icon. Right-click the shortcut, and then click Properties.
    Click the Shortcut tab.
    With the cursor in the Shortcut key box, select the keyboard key you want to use in combination with CTRL+ALT. Shortcut keys automatically start with CTRL+ALT. The Shortcut key box will display None until you select the key and then the box will display Ctrl+Alt+the key you selected. You cannot use the ESC, ENTER, TAB, SPACEBAR, PRINT SCREEN, SHIFT, or BACKSPACE keys.

I'll use pictures to convey what I was trying to explain above. (See screen captures below).

After you have saved your templates:

1. Open Windows Explorer and locate the folder in which you saved your templates.

2. Right-click on the first file for which you want to create a shortcut, and select "Create Shortcut" from the right-click menu.

3. This will result in a shortcut appearing in your templates' folder. Select the shortcut and ...

4. ... drag it out onto your desktop.

You can repeat this process for each of your templates. You can also rename the shortcuts by slowly clicking twice on each shortcut icon's name and typing in whatever new name you want to give it.

I hope this makes sense and solves your problem.

Glen
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Shortcutting.jpg 
Views:	266 
Size:	77.1 KB 
ID:	9752  
    There are two kinds of people in the world: those who think there are two kinds of people in the world, and those who don’t.

John

Why not just save the template file to the desktop? Then it does not have to say shortcut to or copy of or anthing other than the file name. When your client opened the file it will open Xara.

Gary

Hi G,

The thing is the "template" has to remain Xara's Template subdirectory for it to maintain the attributes of a template .... that is when opened the file name can't be overwritten.

I was hoping for a "Silver" bullet. A startup option like the following:

.... Xara.exe /t-poster.xar

Where /t would tell Xara to do a File>New for a file named poster.xar in the templates directory.

Glen and Mike,
    Thanks for the instructions. Although that approach may not solve this one particular problem, I see where I could use it to solve another situation.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> that is when opened the file name can't be overwritten. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Right click on the file, open the file properties, set attributes to read only.

Box Elder, SD - Home of the Sick, Twisted and totally Perverted...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mike Bailey:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> that is when opened the file name can't be overwritten. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Right click on the file, open the file properties, set attributes to read only. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Can't see the forest cause of the trees. The simple answer is always the best. Mike , you have earned a rubber cookie for this one.
    John/DOT