Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Publishing

Default Publishing

I just got off the phone with GoDaddy regarding uploading my site. I have Gregory Stenotype as a subfolder under www.businessvideolive which was built with frontpage and webstyle 4. Since I redid Gregory Stenotype with Web Designer GoDaddy mentioned that I won't beable to upload the site under businessvideolive because it was built with a different program and I would have to have Gregory Stenotype as its own separate folder to upload.

Is there a way around this so I don't have to spend more money to host Gregory Stenotype?

Sheila

Default Re: Publishing

Sounds like a load of twaddle to me.

Just delete your current Gregory Stenotype files in that sub-folder you mentioned and upload your new files to the same folder.

Personally I would be using an FTP client (I use FileZilla) to manage this.

I agree. You are linking to a self contained website within a website.

GoDaddy may be good for domain name registration but they don't seem to know diddly about websites.

The proof of the pudding is if you add that folder and if it works.

If your links to and from are correct it should work fine.

Shelia... Go-Daddy - go-to-hell !!!!
    I had a lot of problems with them in transfering some of my clients' domains over to me when I took over their website work. It took me over 3 months to get it sorted.
    Over time, I have prepared various web pages within the same domains in as many as 4 different web authoring programs and indeed 3 different operating systems. Pages prepared in Frontpage, Dreamweaver, Wordpress, Xtreme or XWD should have no problem sitting within the same website domain... I do it all the time!
    When I discovered XWD, I was so impressed with the easy handling of graphics that I am progressively changing sites over to using this software, as I make changes and updates to the sites I am Webmaster for.
    So pleased be assured, you should not have a problem with the changes you are wishing to make.
    regards and good luck,
    Jambo
    There's no heavier burden than great potential!

Jambo

I had to transfer the domain names for about a dozen websites from GoDaddy and they were very helpful. But the problem was, the person who had recently hosted the sites, re-registered the sites in my name. And once a website has been re-registered, you have to wait 60 days before you can move the domain to a new registrar. There is a logical reason for this which escapes me (if I ever knew it in the first place ) But this is the same with any domain name registrar.

Gary...
    In my case, the old webmaster had unlocked and allowed me to move across all the data (even SQL) and fully given permission for site transfer. It then took three months and three goes with my host (1&1) to get the domains shifted over. So the best I could do in the meantime was to get the old sites pointed to one of my existing domains and temp use sub-domains to support the show.
    In the end, my client had to pay GoDaddy to effect the release although his existing contract with them was expiring! So we live and learn, and having spoken to several other web designer chums, it would appear I am not the only one who has had problems with GoDaddy.
    Cheers and best wishes,
    Jambo
    There's no heavier burden than great potential!

Quote Originally Posted by Sheila View Post
    Since I redid Gregory Stenotype with Web Designer GoDaddy mentioned that I won't beable to upload the site under businessvideolive because it was built with a different program and I would have to have Gregory Stenotype as its own separate folder to upload.

Is there a way around this so I don't have to spend more money to host Gregory Stenotype?

Sheila
    My web site is set up with Microsoft extensions, so I cannot use FTP to publish. So, I just export the files to Expressions web (Frontpage will be the same). Then I do the publishing from there. You can do the same.
    Grace
    http://gracehjs.com/
    Xara Software XDP11