Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Google analytics

stlewis: so as to not confuse things, I think what you are talking about is the fiel that Google would give you to prove ownership of a site when using the Google Webmaster Tools.

The analytics only require that the code be within the code itself (as via the tracker code window) - no extra code in the root folder of the site.

If I misunderstood what stlewis was saying, I appologize.

Yes, slavelle; that's what I meant - good clarification.
    Simon
    ------------------------------
    www.tlaconsultancy.co.uk
    www.bricksandbrass.co.uk

Hmm. I'm having problems with this on (latest XDP6) when I paste the code in the tracker code section on the page properties tab of my index page Google can not verify my site. I opened the html file and the code is being placed just before the end of the body tag rather than just before the end of the head tag. Where do I need to enter it to get it in the right place?

If the right place is the the head section then you have to place it in the head placeholder.
    Create placeholder (any object on the page or even on the pasteboard beside the page). Add the "<head>" name to it. Go to the web properties / placeholder tab, insert your code in the code field and click apply.
    John.

Thanks John. That did the trick....Well after I turned my caps lock off :-)

John

If this has changed (where in the HTML script the code is placed), then the tracker code text entry box should be updated by Xara. Is this correct?

Nothing has changed.
    Tracker code field as always inserts code before the </body> tag.
    Head placeholders at the end of the head section.
    Placeholders with "<html>" name at the very beginning of the file.
    Simple placeholders based on the stacking order within the body section.
    John.

And for what it's worth, Google suggests that the code be the last things just before the </body> tag. It doesn't need to be in the head section as far as I know and I've not ever done anything to put it there in the number of sites I've done that have it included.

John, have these instructions changed since ver. 7.04? I created a rectangle in the pasteboard section of a page, right clicked and gave it the name <head>, then went to web properties/placeholder tab and the only place to add code says it will place the code in the body. Do I have to add the word <head> to the beginning of the code? I don't see any way to associate the code with the object I have named <head>???

Please advise and thanks for all your help.

-Dr. Bob

Quote Originally Posted by covoxer View Post
    If the right place is the the head section then you have to place it in the head placeholder.
    Create placeholder (any object on the page or even on the pasteboard beside the page). Add the "<head>" name to it. Go to the web properties / placeholder tab, insert your code in the code field and click apply.

OK, I got it worked out. John, your instructions worked exactly as you said they would. I was just confused with some of the details. Putting <head> as the name and then inserting the Google Analytics script into the html code area does, in fact, place the code just before the </head> tag in the head area of the page. Perfect! Is there anything this little program CAN'T do?

Thanks, again.

-Dr. Bob

Quote Originally Posted by rwlade View Post
    John, have these instructions changed since ver. 7.04? I created a rectangle in the pasteboard section of a page, right clicked and gave it the name <head>, then went to web properties/placeholder tab and the only place to add code says it will place the code in the body. Do I have to add the word <head> to the beginning of the code? I don't see any way to associate the code with the object I have named <head>???

Please advise and thanks for all your help.

-Dr. Bob