Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    A little french village east of Dallas, TX called Forney And now Austria and Germany too

As some of you may know (because I post here occasionally), I am not a professional artist. I am more of a hobby artist who doodles to keep from going insane while traveling. Even though I am not a pro, I occasionally do produce something that I am proud of and that I would like to have a print of. As I am not a pro, I don’t have a regular printer shop that I do business with. My question is this, what do you (the pros out there) suggest I do for a one-off print job? Is this something that I should go to Kinko’s with? Or is it better to do the research to find a decent local printer to do the work for me? Also, what should I expect to pay for something in 8x10 size on good quality paper (possibly card stock)? My drawing is something I want to frame and send as a Christmas present.

Thanks in advance,
    I'm never wrong. I thought I was wrong once but it turns out that I was mistaken.
    Web Templates. My Beginner Video Tutorials
    My Club. My Album.
    My Other Album. My Tutorial.

A little french village east of Dallas, TX called Forney And now Austria and Germany too

As some of you may know (because I post here occasionally), I am not a professional artist. I am more of a hobby artist who doodles to keep from going insane while traveling. Even though I am not a pro, I occasionally do produce something that I am proud of and that I would like to have a print of. As I am not a pro, I don’t have a regular printer shop that I do business with. My question is this, what do you (the pros out there) suggest I do for a one-off print job? Is this something that I should go to Kinko’s with? Or is it better to do the research to find a decent local printer to do the work for me? Also, what should I expect to pay for something in 8x10 size on good quality paper (possibly card stock)? My drawing is something I want to frame and send as a Christmas present.

Thanks in advance,
    I'm never wrong. I thought I was wrong once but it turns out that I was mistaken.
    My Club. My Album.

I'm not a pro when it comes to printing. But one option you have is what I did once. I did a drawing on the PC which was going to be printed and framed as a gift. It was an 8x10 print.

What I did was take it to a photo place where they make prints from digital photos. Where they say, "The quality is amazing... and your prints will last forever." It did turn out good and one 8x10 cost $4.95 Canadian. Don't know where you're located, but I had mine done at Future Shop.

Their recommended resolution (pixels) for an 8x10 was 1344x1680. I created my illustration at 3000x2400. It wasn't a xara illustration, but done in a paint program.

-Bob.
    •Bob

I think that with the quality and abilities of home printers nowadays, you could just as easily print it yourself. I don't see why not. I've done it lots of times at that size with great results. You just have to go buy the type of paper you'd like to use.

This of course usually excludes thicker mediums like card stock. I don't think there are any standard home printers that can accept that type of medium. But every other type, up to the thickest 'standard' paper you can buy can be used.

Is that not an option Eric?
    If you're framing it you could print on very thick gloss/matte paper and mount it on a stronger background. Then frame it.

With professional colour printing, a key element is the number of colours as one plate is made for each colour.

The number of copies is almost irrelevant - set up costs account for 80-90% of the total. For a real one-off it would be crazy!

On DIY printing, most inkjets can manage 250gsm card but test samples as some types of card bleed. Mark's idea is a good one.

Colour lasers are really more feasible now (I am settling on the Konica-Minolta range, as long as some cash flows in during 2005!). The cheapest take about 160gsm, with the next bracket (eg £600 in UK, sorry no idea on $ and E prices) sometimes managing upto 220.

The Xerox ones produce good colour too but the wax sticks seem to make for an expensive running cost.

Don't know if one present justifies that expense!
    Simon
    ------------------------------
    www.tlaconsultancy.co.uk
    www.bricksandbrass.co.uk

Try both methods as it wont break the bank. Your local print shop using their colour laser will give you a one off print in the UK for just over a pound (about $2)using 250 wieght paper.

If your doing it yourself you will need to buy high res. paper and your colour will fade if your printer is a Canon. Hp and Epson produce better fade free cartidges but watch when your are printing from Xara at high res. your colour can be qiute different from your screen colour.
    Design is thinking made visual.

If you are near a Kinkos you can bring them a disc with your file, or send it by e-mail HERE and they can print it on a variety of papers. As Kinkos is now FedEx Kinkos I would imagine you can send in the file over the Internet and have it delivered to your doorstep by FedEx.

Gary

I designed a cover for my wife to slip in the front of a binder. It was for an instruction manual she hands out to her students. It had lots of colors,gradients,transparencys, a good test for any print job. I got 5 copys printed for her at the copy shop down the street for 15 bucks. I gave them my file at 600dpi and they kicked those 5 out,in about 10 minutes I was on the road. The quality was very good.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I have a cheap inkjet printer so printing at home isn't really an option (and buying a lazer printer, definately isn't an option, though I would like one). A couple of you suggested going down to the local copy-shop and getting it printed there, which is what my first thought was. I really like the idea of getting a digital print from a photography shop. I think that I will try that.

Ok, next question. Has anyone ever tried to back-light a printing? What I mean is, have a frame with a light behind the picture. I think that this would be a cool effect, but I'm not sure how I would accomplish it. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks again.
    Eric
    My Club. My Album.

Edge Light it would be even cooler...

Take 3 sheets of glass, and have the each plate photo etched with a color separation. Build a box and edge light each sheet with a different color "RGB". Put a piece of black velvet behind everything for the black... Would be berry berry cool... http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/biggrin.gif