Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Xara Xtreme Pro 5 or WebDesigner

I have bought first Webdesigner and made a website with it. After that I upgraded my Xara 3 to Xara Pro 5 (with webdesigner in it...)
    I now made some changes and extra pages in the website with Xara Pro 5. But the interface is different, it is not the same as WebDesigner.
    Some new buttons I made are not vissible. It is not as easy I thought.

What to do now? Do I have to go back to WebDesigner and make changes in that software. And use Xara Pro 5 only for 'print'
    It looks (in Xara Pro 5) like, if not all graphics and texts are on the same layer, you cannot see them on your website.

Default Re: Xara Xtrene Pro 5 of WebDesigner

Hi NicoB,

I went the same route as you. I started with WebDesigner and eventually upgraded to Xara Xtreme Pro 5.0. I found the interface to be the same except for enhancements.

If you're talking about how layering works and how it appears in Xtreme then it's more advanced and gives you more information. That threw me off at first but if you persevere you will find it to be much more useful.

I've been able to find mistakes in my sites with the updated Objects Gallery. I couldn't have done that with WebDesigner nearly so easy.

I think the differences between XWD and X5P is Xtreme gives you the ability to deal with the creation of graphics more than XWD....that's a very high level look at the program from a novice user.....me.....
    Ed......:-)

All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you.
    -Gandalf (from Lord of the Rings) - Xara s/w - Xara Designer Pro X11

Welcome to TalkGraphics Nico.

Yes, you can use Xtreme 5 for your website.

Xtreme 5 has the added benefit of more tools and more options.

But Web Designer and Xtreme 5 work very much the same.

I think you may have to recreate your layers. This is why your buttons are not visible.

Web Designer's primary layer is called MouseOff. In Xtreme it is called Layer 1. So this might be the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Web Designer's primary layer is called MouseOff. In Xtreme it is called Layer 1. So this might be the problem.
    To be more accurate;

Layer 1 is used with 'drawing' document templates in Xara Xtreme 5.
    'Web Document' templates in Xtreme 5 are the same as Web Designer and still use MouseOff for the base layer.
    Web designer does not use drawing documents.

WEB DOCUMENT Templates in Web Designer and Xtreme 5
    Name:  web-docs-x5.png
Views: 390
Size:  1.1 KB
    Last edited by steve.ledger; 05 October 2009 at 08:27 PM.

Default Re: Xara Xtreme Pro 5 of WebDesigner

More to the point, Steve, do you think that the reason for the problems Nico is having might be related to a difference in the layers?

Default Re: Xara Xtreme Pro 5 of WebDesigner

I have no idea why Nico has problems as we do not have a .xar or .web file to study.
    I can only surmise that the object gallery in Xtreme Pro 5 has momentarily befuddled Nico.
    However, there should be no problem with *layer migration* between the two applications. It's just that the Xtreme Pro 5 Object gallery expands those layers to show the objects (and further still to expand groups and it's objects.)
    Without further ado - I invite Nico to attach his .xar or .web file for us to check for any problems?

I'm slightly confused. I've just selected 955 pix XGA from the Xara 5 Page Options but the Object Gallery still shows the default layer 1 layer. Am I doing something wrong or do you have to manually change layer 1 to MouseOff?

Peter Walder

Default Re: Xara Xtreme Pro 5 or WebDesigner

It shouldn't do Peter?

Haven't by any chance overwritten the default 955 pix XGA with one of yours?
    Attached Files Attached Files

I don't think so because I just tried choosing the 760 pix and 640 pix sizes from page options and they also leave the default layer 1 present. Your attached file works as is should and once loaded if I then change to one of the other page sizes they retain the MouseOff and MouseOver layers.Should I try a reinstall of the whole programme?

Thanks for the help,

Peter W

Ah - just found that if I go via the File-New menu and select 955 pix then everything works as it should and I get the MouseOver layer. It's only if you go via Page Options and choose the template that it doesn't work.

Peter W