Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: create an email

Default create an email

I'm trying to design an email that has mixed graphics and text using XXP. Doing the design is easy enough, but how do I get it imported into the body of the email?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default Re: create an email

But which email client are you using Charles???

Hi,
    there is lots of info on Email forms in the forums. But Create your 'Contact.htm" in Xara an use a "Placeholder" to hold the form info.
    Here is a Xar file with instructions and design.
    Not nine tho'
    contactform[1].web.xar
    JmG

I use Office Live for e-mails through a web site. Sometimes I use gmail and sometimes Outlook. But, I'm not sure my question was understood. I'm creating an e-mail to send out to a mailing list. If I create the document in Xara, none of these clients will import the file into the body of the e-mail. Nor, I think, will they import directly any of the formats I can export to. So, how can I get from Xara to the body of an e-mail?
    I can generate html code via SeaMonkey Composer and insert it into something like iContact, but the design capabilities are so clunky and the result isn't satisfactory. And my own html coding is at least as bad. But I haven't been able to get from Xara to an e-mail.
    Last edited by charliescoffee; 02 October 2009 at 05:45 AM.

Yes I understood perfectly Charles, hence my question about which email client you are using.
    Those (clients) which can import rich text (html) templates are few and they each have their own formatting requirements.
    Online (web mail) such as gmail you simply cannot use your own template.
    Windows Mail uses 'Stationary' - you could try saving your page as .html and then with Windows Mail (for example) browsing Format >> Apply Stationary >> More Stationary then open the exported HTML file. Though this will only allow you to have a background of your choice in my tests.

Thanks, Sledger. I'm not sure that Windows Mail works with XP, but I think Windows Live Mail does and it may be very similar to Windows Mail and to the Office Live mail client which I normally do use (but which, until very recently, wouldn't accept graphics at all, even though it does render html emails). I downloaded Windows Live Mail and will install and try it in the morning. I almost wish I hadn't taken this job, but if I can make it work, it will add to my box of offerings.

About the only thing I did really like about Composer was that it would generate html, which was useful a lot of times not only for pasting onto things like emails but for tweaking the layout. I wish Xara would do the same but I suppose you can't have everything.

Windows Mail in Vista replaced Outlook Express in XP.
    WM has since been replaced by Windows Live Mail and as you have WLM we're all on the same page

Charlie which version of Outlook are you using?

In Outlook 2003 and older you can select a default document template to use for your emails. Outlook 2003, 2002, and 2000 work stand alone to do this, however older versions do it indirectly through Word.

I have not tried using an html document template with Outlook 2007. I'm sure it can do it, just haven't wanted to wade through the "ribbon" to find where the feature is located.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

I ended up not being able to do an e-mail using Xara. I got an account on ConstantContact.com and recreated the message there. The design tools are a bit clunky and the result isn't nearly as slick as what I'd done in Xara, but it works. I wish there was a better solution to this (without spending months improving my HTML).

Perhaps Letter Creator by Incredimail might help.
    http://www.incredimail.com/english/o...r-creator.aspx
    -=Bob=-